Alternative satnav

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Nobby

Alternative satnav

Post by Nobby »

I know its not a real replacement for a Nav V, but I've hooked up my iPhone 6 again as my SatNav. It worked really well on my previous bike (Yamaha FJR 1300) so in the absence of £550, I've screwed a RAM mount ball to the BMW plastic cover (I reckon that when I get the proper satnav, I can buy another cover easily enough) and my iPhone 6 sits it its waterproof case mounted in the same place as the real thing, with a USB cable going down to a USB 'hella' power socket on the fairing.

There are plenty of drawbacks; you need a naked finger to work the touch screen so once you've set off, you're stuck until you pull over and de-glove! That said, you can set up the software so it doesn't get interrupted by messages on the screen. On the positive side, the TomTom app is brilliant with the best part being the automatic traffic updates and rerouting that works across Europe, for less than £2 a month, and the free map updates that happen all the time in the background.

So if you need satnav (as I do) and access to all your music via a bluetooth headset, then the device in your pocket might be all you need. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works and its certainly cheaper than £550. Just don't forget to plan your route and play list before you set off!
Attachments
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
Last edited by Nobby on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masq85

Re: Alternative satnav

Post by Masq85 »

You're absolutely right.  The only thing that I'm disappointed about my recent purchase is the Nav 5.  I've been using Tom Tom on my iPhone for a few years now so I got used to it's high res screen and speed of operation.  The Nav 5 is difficult to see and is often so slow that I can't see where i've got to go next.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I got a Sat Nav made to fit the bike - the blank spot where the Nav should have sat would have annoyed me just as much - and it will get me where I need to be.  However, considering the fact that I can buy a new iPhone 6s with 64Gb of memory for £619 I think I have a right to be disappointed to have much much less for £610!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nav 5 slow.  No way. You have a defective one.And turn the auto brightness off and put it on full.  You will see it in all but direct unlight on the screen. No screen is visible then Definately not a phone.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No. I also find the Nav 5 unit very slick in operation, and certainly not slow!
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

I'm afraid you've not grasped my point. When I say difficult to see its the screen resolution and quality of graphics I'm talking about. And it certainly is slow, when compared to the speed of the iPhone App.
Compared to the Tom Tom go I used to have about 8 years ago it's about the same. I.e. The technology is at least 5 years old. It's all about expectations. Unfortunately I was expecting to receive something comparable to what I've become used to but it's like my iPhone has become a Nokia 3310 - still makes phone calls, but I know which I'd prefer!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still think you have a defective one.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I had the Nav4 then upgraded to the Nav5, the processor is way faster and the graphics are a big improvement, it is properly waterproof and integrated with the bike, routes can be planned on a PC/Mac and then emailed to all your fellow travellers, it is a complete solution. I remember the days when all my pals had different GPSs and we got to a junction and it was a case of 'mine says left' and 'mine says right'. Not anymore.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

The problem is the apps for smart phones are improving almost daily, and the mobiles themselves are being upgraded, often more than once a year.  So unless a device like the Nav V is following the same course, it is bound to feel less than up to date ... when compared side by side.

I have a fairly new car with built in sat nav, and yet I still have my iPhone and TomTom app on a mount next to it simply for the immediate traffic information from live satellite feeds, and the bang up to date maps without having to consciously download anything.

I will have a Nav V at some point - the blanking plate looks naff and at best 'OK' with the iPhone mounted.  But the phone is a good compromise whilst I build up justification to buy a single use, but inferior piece of technology that costs £550 in the UK!  Only joking.

Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

Don't get me started on car Sat Navs. Bought a new Auris last year and the Sat Nav is worse than The Nav V so I don't use it.
The real problem is that these manufacturers have a multi year development cycle, so by the time things like satnavs reach the market they're already a few years out of date. This is why the Nav 5 is "relatively" (and I emphasise that because it's NOT faulty) poor compared to the iPhone App.
Of course, if the Nav 5 was £300 I probably wouldn't be complaining!!
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Spot on!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Enlighten me someone please. i phone giving you your route across Europe for hours on end costs what, or does the app run for free?
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

TomTom app works on GPS, not data or phone signal, so its free.

I subscribe to the traffic service; its less than £2 a month, but its invaluable.  For example it tells you the M25 is blocked and re-routes you etc etc.  It works across Europe.
Nobby

Re: Alternative satnav - update

Post by Nobby »

As the iPhone is in a waterproof case, it turns out you can tap the screen wearing gloves, and it all works!