Garmin premium services

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Rusty-pie

Garmin premium services

Post by Rusty-pie »

Has anyone used any of the premium services offered by garmin for the Navigator V, specifically advanced weather and real time safety camera? Any feedback?
guest2360

Re: Garmin premium services

Post by guest2360 »

No.  There are not that many new cameras these days and what's in your new fast one will be the latest anyway so I would save your pennies.  I wouldn't bother with paying to know I'm about to get wet.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

The name "real time" and the brief description on the garmin website seem to suggest that the premium safety camera service will warn also of the presence of temporary (mobile) speed cameras. I would like to know from somebody that has actually used it if this is the case and if so, if it is reliable or not.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would think that's an impossible claim unless the plod have decided to somehow notify Garmin on a minute to minute basis of where their vans about to park up.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Just for your info, in my area there is a Facebook group of people that voluntarily post the position of mobile camera as they spot them. Most of the camera vans and laser guns are located within minutes. Garmin could use a similar service from their subscribers maybe? I would like to know if this is the case from somebody that uses the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

Don't speed, then it doesn't matter.  :kacsint2:
Last edited by guest2826 on Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

I never speed. I like to collect photos of speed cameras on different sceneries around the country, I'm a speed camera anorak.  ;)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Rusty-pie wrote: Just for your info, in my area there is a Facebook group of people that voluntarily post the position of mobile camera as they spot them. Most of the camera vans and laser guns are located within minutes. Garmin could use a similar service from their subscribers maybe? I would like to know if this is the case from somebody that uses the service.

Here's what the Garmin website claims for Smart Link

[size=16px]Safety Cameras[size=14px]Ensure you’re always up to date with safety cameras, including locations of mobile sites through the Cyclops safety camera community. The Cyclops safety camera community collects and shares up to the minute safety camera reports from a large community of mobile phone and Garmin GPS users to keep you informed.[/size]
[size=11px]Service available in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, South Africa and the United Kingdom. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.[/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very clever wording.  Up to the minute reports.  Not quite the same as up to the minute locations.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Very clever wording.  Up to the minute reports.  Not quite the same as up to the minute locations.

ah - you spotted that one then?

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

ah - you spotted that one then?

Old, yes, gullible, not yet.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

I had a look at the cyclop website, which is the service that garmin uses for their camera locations, and they state that their systems reports "active" or "live" mobile camera locations which means without interpretation that their service warns if the camera is actually there at that specific point in time. It is based on "user community reporting" which is exactly what I suspected.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Now back to the original question: had anybody used it and is it reliable?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just before we do.  An active (location) I understand is  a place they use, not are using as you ride by.  As you know such sites a loaded into the unit when you get it.  I must have heard hundreds of warning that a mobile site is up ahead.  I have yet to see plod sat in any.  Give them cash and you will just get more.  They might put them in but they never seem to take them out.  Over and out from me. `
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I have always used Pocket GPS World cameras which can be imported into all Garmin satnavs via Garmin POI loader.  There is a weekly update.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com