Oil leak in filter area

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
kerdoman

Oil leak in filter area

Post by kerdoman »

I had my 2005 R1200RT SE serviced when back in the UK over Christmas (we live part-time in France). On arriving back in France and parking up on the drive I noticed a small oil stain on the ground.
When I got around to looking at it, oil was weeping from around the filter area. The local shop (non-BMW) had fitted an aftermarket filter so I replaced it with a BMW part but no improvement. I've given it a good clean and the weep is from the filter.
Anyone else had this issue?? :(
fatnfast

Re: Oil leak in filter area

Post by fatnfast »

Sometimes the rubber oil filter o-ring can be left behind and stick the engine, so effectively you end up having two o-rings. This could cause a weep.
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

Had the same problem with a BMC 1500 diesel on a narrow boat. An oil coated engine bay not a pretty sight. My excuse was you had to fit it upside down hanging head down from the deck so couldn't see the little bugger o ring.  Bikes far easier!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aweight

Post by aweight »

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, try draining, remove the filter and before refitting smear a little oil on the gasket, it helps it no nip or bunch up and seats it perfectly, hope this helps
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I believe the 05 has the filter on the bottom, same as my 2011, any possibility it's the oil drain plug seeping, manual calls for new crush washer at each service
I would suggest doing a throught cleaning of the bottom of engine, using something like simple green
One cheap trick we use searching out oil leaks on round aircraft engines, they have a lot of them, is to clean the suspect area throughly until it is competely free of oil then spray a little Arid extra, extra, extra dry deodorant on suspect area, the powder will show a leak at the first drop
Jim
kerdoman

Post by kerdoman »

Well, it wasn't the oil filter - in the area of the filter housing there was a small area of the cast crankcase that had become porous.
The shop has ground it back a little, put in a small aluminium/aluminium weld and lightly dressed it with liquid metal. It appear to have solved the problem but I'll be collecting the bike tomorrow and will give it a good run to test its integrity. Here's hoping .....
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

Hi Kerdoman.
I know you've had it attended to now, but my 2013 RT had an oil leak from around the filter area. Went back under warranty and turned out to be from the cam chain  adjuster (R/H cylinder). Apparently gravity and airflow make it collect at the lowest point - the filter. They knew straight awayaway, and replaced the crush washer under the head of the adjuster.
Hope yours is sorted now though.  :kacsint2:
Attachments
PicsArt_05-07-07.35.14.jpg
♻ larryblag ♻
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

♻ larryblag ♻