Rear Brake pads

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
JayBees7

Rear Brake pads

Post by JayBees7 »

Can any one confirm the correct way to fit the anti rattle spring that sits inside the rear caliber and presses against the top edges of the pads. There are two small prongs on the convex face do these fit between the pads or are they locators for the calliper? Reason for asking is because the present pad set up has resulted in very excessive wear on one pad whilst seemingly no wear on the other.
guest2360

Re: Rear Brake pads

Post by guest2360 »

Normal reason for uneven pad wear is a stuck calliper.  You might also find the retaining pin is corroded.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On a 2010 RT, the pad spring location should look like this.

The arrow faces direction of travel, the two small prongs retain the pad spring within the caliper.

From new, the two rear pads are slightly different thicknesses & do tend to wear unevenly.

"And the inside pad is thinner than the outside, so if you're watching pad thickness - always check the inside pad, it's gonna wear out first."

Last edited by David. on Fri May 13, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Thank you David, I was wondering why my inner pad was slightly thinner, after a quick inspection before my next trip.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You said you had very excessive wear on one pad.  That is caused by the calliper not floating.  Check that it is before fitting new ones.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tango wrote:I was wondering why my inner pad was slightly thinner, after a quick inspection before my next trip.
The inner pad also has wear limit holes in the back of the brake pad.
JayBees7

Post by JayBees7 »

Yeah good point there the calliper floats easily and actually it is the inboard pad that has worn excessively, The pad on the piston side is like new. so I'm wondering if the anti rattle spring was fitted incorrectly and so preventing full movement on the piston side.
JayBees7

Post by JayBees7 »

Thanks for that info and picture David it will be of great help when I get some new pads actually ordered from Motions. cheers
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

JayBees7 wrote:The caliper floats easily and actually it is the inboard pad that has worn excessively.
The pad on the piston side is like new. so I'm wondering if the anti rattle spring was fitted incorrectly and so preventing full movement on the piston side.
Are the pistons free to move within the caliper, when extended, can they be pushed back flush with the caliper by hand.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Heres an example of a corroded pin.  The pads were badly worn on the inside. Took some getting off.
Attachments
calliper 1.jpg
calliper.jpg
JayBees7

Post by JayBees7 »

Yes David the pistons are free I pushed them back by hand although i have to admit that the retaining pin was very dirty, I have since polished it with wire wool. Will have to wait for the new pads, believe it or not they were fitted Jan this year and only done 1900 miles.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

JayBees7 wrote:The caliper floats easily.
Is the pad retaining pin clean, free of corrosion & lightly lubricated.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Were they genuine BMW (Brembo). Aftermarket ones can have an extremely short life as well as being fatal for the disc.