I feel like I got hosed at the dealer for oil and filter

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
siclmn

I feel like I got hosed at the dealer for oil and filter

Post by siclmn »

I knew this was coming but I am due for the 6000 mile service. I went to the dealer and asked for the oil and filter. It came to $87.17. I change the oil myself but this is still excessive for an oil change. I refuse to believe that the engine needs this overpriced oil. The tiny tiny oil filter was $19.59 of the total.
So I look on Amazon and can buy Castrol Actevo part synthetic Motorcycle oil 10-40 for around $6.50 a quart delivered. It comes in 3 gallon bundles. What is wrong with this oil? My KRS 4 cylinder ran perfectly for 120,000 miles on 10-40 non synthetic with no leaks yet, it still runs like new. The booklet that came with the motorcycle said to use 5-40 Castrol. But at the dealer today they said it changed to 15-50 BMW oil made by Shell. This is just BS, they say whatever they want and the cattle come to feed on it.

Is there anything wrong with using this oil?
Mtnbiker1966

Re: I feel like I got hosed at the dealer for oil and filter

Post by Mtnbiker1966 »

Seems to me a big deal is made about the type of oil used. To me, if it complies with the standard that's written in the owner's manual. I've run Castrol in my R1150 R and 1200 GS with no issues.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

If it's a water cooled bike, I would stick with the 5-40 castrol synethic, Amazon about $10 per qt US
15-50 is NOT recommended for LC bikes, camhead and older can use it
BMW USA has a ad, buy 3 get 4 of their new Shell/BMW oil
Others have reported better shifting with this oil on LC bikes
Filters can also be purchased online for about $12 each
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Buy a very expensive bike, fill it with non recommended oil.  Not much logic in that.  Dealer was wrong telling you 15/50. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Buy a very expensive bike, fill it with non recommended oil...

Couldn't agree more.  Dealers are part of what the marketing people call the "ownership experience".

I find it much less stressful to go with the flow - and try a different bike, every time mine's getting a service.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Just goes to show how different we all are, for me the "ownership experience" is all about getting your hands dirty and servicing your bike yourself. The LC RT is probably the easiest bike I have ever worked on. :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: Just goes to show how different we all are, for me the "ownership experience" is all about getting your hands dirty and servicing your bike yourself. The LC RT is probably the easiest bike I have ever worked on. :)

You're totally right.  I get the attraction of working on a bike but I'd rather ride mine - even if it's to the dealer - than spend any more time than is absolutely necessary working on it.

;)