To buy or not?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Irimiadan

To buy or not?

Post by Irimiadan »

Hi to all. I am prepaired to buy this 2005 RT SE, Budget beeing the determining factor. This one is sold for 3200 euros. The guy tells me that the bike is ok all extras working, only front brake discs needs changing and exhaust. I know it looks preety bad on lower parts finish. But those dont bother me much as i can fix them in time ie painting footrests holders and lower front legs in the winter.
Though i looked and i couldnt find another bike that much rusted. Also the dash is giving distance in km and fuel consumption in miles per gal. What is your opinion on this? Do you think a nicer looking lower mileage is worth the +2-3k euros? Anyone else has a 100k+ mileage on his? Does it lools that bad? Hows the engine like? When it asks for a rebuild?
Attachments
IMG_2765-1.JPG
IMG_2769.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2779.jpg
Last edited by Irimiadan on Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: To buy or not?

Post by guest2360 »

Walk away, quickly. Find one 2007 onwards.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

Can u say why also?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It would be a very long list but mainly
New front discs and header pipes would be at least half  the cost of the bike.
It has electro servo brakes, or should have.  They would cost the other half of the bikes price if they fail and they surely will looking at its condition.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

Are you shure?  I mean i found disks brembo with 115 euro piece in my country and exhaust headers used im good conditon for 140+shipping.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its your choice.  I know what original parts cost.  But its your money and I am sure you will be much better off finding a newer bike that will cost you no more in the long run.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Looking at the condition of the bike my first reaction would be to walk away. The parts that you can see that require attention can be fixed easily enough but the real problem is what lurks underneath. Now 100K on a bike thats been looked after and serviced should not be a concern however how do you spot a lemon. Does the bike have a service history you can trust ? Why is it so rusty ? Just replacing the clutch is a big job and those servo brakes are expensive to repair. If it was me then I think I would look for a non servo bike with high mileage but in excellent condition with a comprehensive service history thats been loved and pay a little more.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have also noticed two things in the photos that I have not seen before.  There is some kind of cover over the right hand switchgear and something above the cylinder that seems to have a pipe attached to it.  Has it been some kind of anAuthorities bike in the past.  With no panniers it's difficult to know.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Looks like a real dog to me!

Walk away...
JonA

Post by JonA »

Irimiadan wrote: Anyone else has a 100k+ mileage on his? Does it lools that bad? Hows the engine like? When it asks for a rebuild?
My 2005 RT had done 8k when I bought it in 2011, and now it has 92k on it. I can honestly say it looks 10 times better than that bike and I'm certainly not over zealous about cleaning it. The engine is still sweet and everything else works fine. I know some folks don't like the servo brakes but I can only go on my experience and I've never had any problem with them.

These bikes don't have any trouble with high mileage if they have been looked after. As said by others - walk away from that one it looks nasty!
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

[size=2px]
Levisp wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px]Looking at the condition of the bike my first reaction would be to walk away. The parts that you can see that require attention can be fixed easily enough but the real problem is what lurks underneath. Now 100K on a bike thats been looked after and serviced should not be a concern however how do you spot a lemon. Does the bike have a service history you can trust ? Why is it so rusty ? Just replacing the clutch is a big job and those servo brakes are expensive to repair. If it was me then I think I would look for a non servo bike with high mileage but in excellent condition with a comprehensive service history thats been loved and pay a little more.[/size][size=2px][/quote][/size]
Good point. Does rust neccesary proove that the bike was not taken care of ? Going for a good looking, newer bike would double the price.

RTman10 wrote:[/size]I have also noticed two things in the photos that I have not seen before.  There is some kind of cover over the right hand switchgear and something above the cylinder that seems to have a pipe attached to it.  Has it been some kind of anAuthorities bike in the past.  With no panniers it's difficult to know.

Those are lights and lights button, i will look how they were installed and now much the original wire harness was tampered with. It has normal panniers
[attach=1][attach=2][attach=3] (older pic)
JonA wrote:[/size]My 2005 RT had done 8k when I bought it in 2011, and now it has 92k on it. I can honestly say it looks 10 times better than that bike and I'm certainly not over zealous about cleaning it. The engine is still sweet and everything else works fine. I know some folks don't like the servo brakes but I can only go on my experience and I've never had any problem with them.These bikes don't have any trouble with high mileage if they have been looked after. As said by others - walk away from that one it looks nasty!

For how much would you sell your bike now ?

I understand your reluctancy also. Thats why i posted in the first place but i was expecting more detailed answers. What problems can engine develop, and should be looked at ? What other parts of on old bike are prone to fail etc ? 

I know how a bike can look like that. I got a CB500 3 years ago in nice condition for 1500 euros. After the first winter it was a mess as far as how it looked like. Now after 40000km it looks like hell, but it drives wonderfull. So i understand why a bike can get to look like that especialy beeing driven in ireland.
This RT has "some" history it is full but not all BMW. It had 2 owners, and the current owner has it for 70 months. I am looking for a bargain, And i expext not a perfect bike. Otherwise i would have paid 10k and took a newer one.
The next RT price wise is 6000 euro. Does it worth 3000 euro for shiny bits ? It is rust a proof that a bike wasnt taken care of ?

For me dealbreaker would be a tired engine, battered chassis, or improvisations made on the bike.
Servo can fall on a 6k euro bike too, abs same and everything that isnt mechanical has the same chance to fall, no matter new or old or badly mentained.
Attachments
MWQ2MTY2Nzk1MGE1ZTNhZWU3NDY4YWU2ODA1OGY2ZGLieSlpX1Sff1YhLuAB8PT3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTg2MTMzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG
Last edited by Irimiadan on Mon May 16, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Sounds to me as if you have talked yourself into it and just wanted some confirmation. The consensus seems to be 'Walk away' but I suspect that will not happen. You may just defy the group wisdom.
Best of luck.

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I would agree with what has been said here. The condition is pretty bad, and whilst it could be cleaned up, I bet many of the bolts will be seized solid.
There is a nice 2007/8 (non-servo ABS) with full luggage, 69,000 miles, clutch recently done for £3395 on the UKGser site at this time. I'm guessing you are not to local, but have you considered looking further afield?
Last edited by fatnfast on Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree, no matter what you are going to buy it.  My last observation on the most corroded RT I have seen in many a year is the mpg figure shown is very very low. Best of luck.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

And is that a front lamp out warning on the dash?
It's little things like this that would cast further doubt about any caring owners..