To buy or not?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Irimiadan

Re: To buy or not?

Post by Irimiadan »

No i am not already talked myself, but untill now, i didnt see any details given. Now i see your point. I was just trying to make you to give rational opinions and not just "Everything that's cheap is garbage".

Yes, i am not a local, but i can travel within reason allover europe. The hardest thing beeing "i dont know where to look for them other than big franchise sites "mcn" "preloved" "gumtree"

fatnfast wrote:[/size]I would agree with what has been said here. The condition is pretty bad, and whilst it could be cleaned up, I bet many of the bolts will be seized solid.There is a nice 2007/8 (non-servo ABS) with full luggage, 69,000 miles, clutch recently done for £3395 on the UKGser site at this time. I'm guessing you are not to local, but have you considered looking further afield?

Can u post a link for that ? Or any other good places to look for a good RT/GS within 5000 euro / 3900 pounds ?

How this looks like ? https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for- ... e/11688538 ?
Last edited by Irimiadan on Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

MacJ wrote: Sounds to me as if you have talked yourself into it and just wanted some confirmation. The consensus seems to be 'Walk away' but I suspect that will not happen. You may just defy the group wisdom.
+1 Best of luck!  Peter
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

It's on the UKGser.com site, but you won't be able to see all the details unless you become a subscriber (£12).
But it you can PM me your email, I will pass it on to the guy selling it and then hopefully he can contact you with some more pics and details :-) . If nothing else maybe you could use this information to get the price down on the one closer to you?
I think you will be able to get a nice one for your budget. The one you were looking at is not unreasonable, but being a very early model could have lots of potential niggles. The Servo ABS for example. If this does fail (and not all do) it will leave you with just residual braking; not very pleasant. The exhaust should last indefinitely with a little care, so I would be concerned that it needs sorting. Not a big deal and secondhand parts are readily available, but there is a good chance the pipe to head nuts will be badly corroded and will likely sheer off. That's more hassle you don't want. The same could apply to the discs that need changing, and on top of the disc price will be a new set of pads. If the seller was prepared to haggle on price, then it may still be good value for money, but....there are plenty of RTs out there :-).

Whatever you decide, my short time on this site suggests that you will get lots of help if you are unlucky enough to have a few problems.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

fatnfast wrote: It's on the UKGser.com site, but you won't be able to see all the details unless you become a subscriber (£12).
But it you can PM me your email, I will pass it on to the guy selling it and then hopefully he can contact you with some more pics and details :-) . If nothing else maybe you could use this information to get the price down on the one closer to you?
I think you will be able to get a nice one for your budget. The one you were looking at is not unreasonable, but being a very early model could have lots of potential niggles. The Servo ABS for example. If this does fail (and not all do) it will leave you with just residual braking; not very pleasant. The exhaust should last indefinitely with a little care, so I would be concerned that it needs sorting. Not a big deal and secondhand parts are readily available, but there is a good chance the pipe to head nuts will be badly corroded and will likely sheer off. That's more hassle you don't want. The same could apply to the discs that need changing, and on top of the disc price will be a new set of pads. If the seller was prepared to haggle on price, then it may still be good value for money, but....there are plenty of RTs out there :-).

Whatever you decide, my short time on this site suggests that you will get lots of help if you are unlucky enough to have a few problems.

Already made an account and subscribed there.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... %C2%A33500 - sent PM asked for final price.
+Recent good service, and 2007 model (without servo)
-Not many options, sells without topcase, clocks and dash in miles
96.000kms
Price 4500EUR

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... T-for-sale - Sent a PM asked final price
+Same good service and non servo model, paint touches made
-Lack of options, also selss without topcase, miles in dashboard
112.000kms
Price 4300EUR

Still I hope to get a good deal on the one in ireland.

I am a Romanian, and in my country even the Dealers are much more cheaper. Cheap labor makes cheap service. I am serious when i say that an engine rebuild and full paint the bike will be around 1500 euros. OEM Parts + work
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Those costs are cheap!
Good luck with whatever bike you decide on :-)