iPhone 6 and scalarider Q1 - non BMW sat nav / radio / music solution

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Nobby

iPhone 6 and scalarider Q1 - non BMW sat nav / radio / music solution

Post by Nobby »

So, I've had the R1200RT LE for a couple of months now, having bought it 2nd hand at 9 months old.  It didn't bother me there was no radio prep or Nav V on it, but have found a really good compromise that works for me, although its not as convenient as the BMW equipment I guess.

As previously reported, I've mounted my iPhone 6 via an iPhone waterproof case on the Nav V blanking plate.  Then via bluetooth, have connected it to my helmet with a Scalarider Q1.  Phone works perfect, and the TomTom navigation app on the iPhone also works a treat.

The radio that is built into the Scala is a bit flakey - what do you expect from such a small unit and limited arial (it uses one of the speaker leads inside the helmet at the arial).  But I've loaded myTuner Radio (£2.29) from the app store, and I get all the stations I want off the internet in perfect digital sound!  Of course, its using the phone signal to access the internet, but as I have unlimited data on my sim, it costs me nothing extra.  On the occasions I lose phone signal, it reconnects as soon as its in range again.

I live in Hampshire and drove into South East London yesterday (90 minutes) and had turn by turn instructions in my ears, a visual map in front of me, and Radio 4 (sorry - its my age) all the way!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: iPhone 6 and scalarider Q1 - non BMW sat nav / radio / music solution

Post by richardbd »

Sounds like a good solution Nobby - any chance of a pic or two?