What would it take to get the brake system from a 2007 to a 2005 model ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: What would it take to get the brake system from a 2007 to a 2005 model ?

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Think it's time we all step back from this one.

You boys are no fun.  This is the most entertaining thread we've had on here for ages - and it doesn't even mention colours or engine bars!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

step2534 wrote: Irimiadan, Sorry but I cant work out what you want.

What do you mean Insurance doesn't matter ??

Police bikes too basic  one minute you are on about cost, they are the right price

I get the feeling you are just trying to wind people up and are talking SxxT.  If I were you Id go look at a Honda

I agree I'm getting confused. If budget is tight the last thing you want to buy is a bike that requires lots of work which could be expensive. Surely this then blows the budget. I think buying a descent 1200RT on your budget is going to be problematic. If it was me I would look at something else, either 1100/1150 RT or Pan ST1100. There are loads of nice low mileage ST1100 on Bike Trader to choose from and they are going to be reliable and easy to maintain. Just my opinion take it or leave it.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

step2534 wrote: Irimiadan, Sorry but I cant work out what you want.

What do you mean Insurance doesn't matter ??

Police bikes too basic  one minute you are on about cost, they are the right price

I get the feeling you are just trying to wind people up and are talking SxxT.  If I were you Id go look at a Honda
It was a response to "Would it not also have serious insurance implications - ditching the braking system in favour of your own set up? I'm sure if you're involved in an accident and the insurers check, you'd be deep in the doo.Andy"
I already OWN a honda :)
Levisp wrote:[/size]I agree I'm getting confused. If budget is tight the last thing you want to buy is a bike that requires lots of work which could be expensive. Surely this then blows the budget. I think buying a descent 1200RT on your budget is going to be problematic. If it was me I would look at something else, either 1100/1150 RT or Pan ST1100. There are loads of nice low mileage ST1100 on Bike Trader to choose from and they are going to be reliable and easy to maintain. Just my opinion take it or leave it.
I don't like the looks of 1100/1150, and i want a BMW. What do you think a good budget would be for a 1200RT ?
I am a serious believer that value is just a human feeling, and while some think a purse for 5000 euro is a good deal, others look for bargains. All in all i guess a 5000 euro budget can bring me a decent bike, but to proove it or not we all need time.

I have some experience in mechanics, and i think i can spot major flaws, rest are consumables (clutch bearings etc) and i prefer to pay a lower initial bike price and fix things myself than pay a higher price and live with the impression that i have a good bike. Besides, something can go south on a new 18.000 euros bike.

[size=2px]
JayBees7 wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px]Well if it was me and I hankered over a set of brakes so much then I would trade in my beemer for one that had the required system installed. Simples really actually in 95000 miles of riding beepers with ABS only twice has the system actuated just saying.[/size][size=2px][size=2px][/quote][/size]
It doesnt bother me much the lack of ABS, but it would be a nice addition. And raise the bike value if the time will come to sell it.

Though i dont understand why we are talking about if this is a good deal or not when the original question was about modifying something that the manufacturer put on the bike. Why we arent talking about the calipers on the 2007 model do they fit on lower legs ? What is different on them ?

If it bothers you to have a conversation about modifying a bike just say like so.

P.S. I participated a lot on a thread where someone wanted to put a double disk brake, replacing the forks on a honda CB500. And i have a friend (mechanic who succesfully installed a turbo on a gsxR1000) So i know for a fact that everything is possible. Why we dont try to be a little more constructive on the matter ?
Last edited by Irimiadan on Wed May 18, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Looking at MCN and Bike Trader a 2007/8 bikes seem to be priced around £5-6000 here in the UK. Good luck in your search.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

Levisp wrote: Looking at MCN and Bike Trader a 2007/8 bikes seem to be priced around £5-6000 here in the UK. Good luck in your search.

What a 2005 is priced ?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

This thread is getting better every time I check in...

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

richardbd wrote: This thread is getting better every time I check in...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I cant find the bloody like button :(