BOOSTER PLUG ???

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
LC cool

BOOSTER PLUG ???

Post by LC cool »

Has anyone fitted a booster plug to a R1200RT LC if so has there been any difference?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: BOOSTER PLUG ???

Post by T6pilot »

Had one on my 11 1200gs
Made a difference, waiting to hear some realworld experience on LC RT to decide also
Jim
SteveLindsell

Post by SteveLindsell »

I had one fitted to my RT LC and it was like a different beast at low revs. No delays or near stalls whilst maneuvering. Money well spent i'd say!

I'm sure that more experienced riders (I've had 11 years off bikes before getting this bike) will say it's all in the throttle control, but to be honest I think it's the best 'mod' i've done, like a new bike!

If it's just to gain better throttle response at low revs it is a no brainer!

aweight

Post by aweight »

I fitted the booster plug to my 2015 LC and I can honestly say it's like night and day at low revs, I travel into central London everyday and at low speeds, low revs it's removed the jerky response on throttle closing and made the bike a real dream to ride at slow speeds.

Acceleration seems smoother and stronger too, one expected side effect is that ave MPG has gone up slightly from 52.3 to 54.2 -

I spoke with the guys at boosterplug, who are by the way a very decent bunch and they put this down to the cold weather we've been having were the booster plug has less effect, so lets see what happens during the summer, will keep you posted
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Same effect for smoothness in traffic can be had for no money by selecting Rain mode.  Mpg for most is about 55.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Same effect for smoothness in traffic can be had for no money by selecting Rain mode.  Mpg for most is about 55.

I tend to agree.  As a matter of interest, what does fitting a Booster Plug do to the warranty?  I bet the ECU has a log that can track how the engine's been fuelling so that the presence of the plug would be apparent, even if it was removed prior to a service.

Or maybe I'm wrong?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Does it not involve cutting holes in the air box.  That's going to be fun in any engine warranty work.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Does it not involve cutting holes in the air box.  That's going to be fun in any engine warranty work.

Says on the website it's plug and play, not plug, cut and play!

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

No cutting involved just a plug in device. I had one on my 07 GS made it nicer to ride. However I cannot see much wrong with the LC so not bothered. Like the suggestion of rain mode in city traffic might have to try that one.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What happens with the probe? 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think that is just to measure outside air temperature and is attached anywhere thats away from the heat of the engine. I think I read the preferred place is by the headstock but maybe someone who has fitted one can confirm this.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've only had my 2014 for 3 months, I haven't experienced any jerkiness at slow speed. Might need to polish slow riding techniques  :)  Have been riding a Harley for 6 years, so maybe I'm used to lumbering a bike around.