First big tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: First big tour

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote: I'm all ready to go, just a week early 😏

I'm always like that too.  I'm going to Africa in September and I've already done my packing list!!!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I leave next Friday.  Still looking for the pannier inners.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

RTman10 wrote: I leave next Friday.  Still looking for the pannier inners.
I use the cede baileys bags that I took from my 2012rt
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I use the cede baileys bags that I took from my 2012rt
No I own a set, BMW, put them away last Oct somewhere. 
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Puncture repair kit.  You can wait a long time for recovery.  A repair kit will get you to the next town.  And don't forget a means to inflate the tyre!
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Nobby wrote: Puncture repair kit. You can wait a long time for recovery. A repair kit will get you to the next town. And don't forget a means to inflate the tyre!
Good call, just got an Oxford product item from my local Infinity shop. I already have a really compact 12v pump which will now be added to the kit list. One of the other tour members is carrying a can of sealant which injects repair stuff and air directly into the tyre. Not sure about using that though, personally I would like to plug any repairs.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you have tyre pressure monitoring its probably not a good idea to squirt gooey stuff through the valve.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Also the one time I tried sealant, it didn't work. :(  I use Stop & Go kit works and got me home safely from France with no drama. Which ever kit you have make sure to learn how to use it before you go. Trying to read instructions on the side of the road is not ideal. If you breakdown wear a high viz jacket in France believe its the law now. Cannot remember where I got this but might be helpful http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/motorcycling-france/
Last edited by Levisp on Sat May 21, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not mandatory to have a high vis vest in France but breath test kits are but there is no penalty for not having one.  Reflective stickers , 4 of them on you helmet are required though. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Not mandatory to have a high vis vest in France
Yes you do
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Only for cars.  Not required for two wheels vehicles.  According to the AA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Benchmark wrote: Yes you do
It seems to state that you have to carry them for rider and pillion but only mandated to wear if broken down on side of the road? The stickers on the helmet is also news to me. However I have a feeling that most 'newer' helmets have them. What about spare visors, I never had any issues, but worth taking?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I guess yes if you have room but after a while you start to think you need everything including the kitchen sink. Personally I do not carry a spare visor but do gloves and keys. The list could be endless and apart from puncture repair kit have needed none of it.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Only for cars.  Not required for two wheels vehicles.  According to the AA.
Are you sure  ;)
From January 2016 it will be compulsory for all motorcyclists (two or three wheels) to carry reflective jackets and wear them in the event of an emergency/breakdown.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Download their Compulsory equipment list and it says you don't. So who knows.