First big tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
guest3074

Re: First big tour

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Download their Compulsory equipment list and it says you don't. So who knows.
Well given it's on more than one site I guess the new law is fact.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just found it on the RAC sheet, so it's possibly true.  I think if you use a high vis jacket anyway you would be OK .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Re: First big tour - French fuel crisis

Post by UKDucatiman »

Just my luck, the French go strike crazy as I'm due to depart (Friday). Anybody got contacts in France who know the actual situation on the ground. Is is really the case that the fuel stations are running dry all over the country? Plan B would be to by-pass France and get to Italy via Belgium, Austria & Germany, which I think would only add about another 150 miles to the journey.Talk about an adventure ; )
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Wed May 25, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

You're lucky you have the option to use Belgium, a friend goes next week Portsmouth to Caen so if it continues that's them stuffed  :(
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

We are off on Saturday.  Intend to turn left after the train and work our way through Belgium/Germany.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: We are off on Saturday. Intend to turn left after the train and work our way through Belgium/Germany.
We are also crossing the water on Saturday. Taking the early P&O ferry @ 7:35.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: We are off on Saturday.  Intend to turn left after the train and work our way through Belgium/Germany.
Went Belgium\Luxembourg on route to the Black Forest a fortnight ago, stopped here in the medieval town of Vianden on route which turned out to also be the local bike meet location  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Went Belgium\Luxembourg on route to the Black Forest a fortnight ago, stopped here in the medieval town of Vianden on route.

That's where we will be based for 5 nights next week.  Good location for exploring the Eifel, Mosel area and the Ardennes.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Yep, Belgium, Luxembourg is the way to go...😊 Lovely twisty road following the Meuse river, OK,  a little bit in France! Then the Semois river to the very nice town of Bouillon then onto the N83, N4  into Luxembourg.  Very nice😊
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

RTman10 wrote: Main things are obvious
Carry original V5 licence and insurance.
European medical card. (free from the Post Office) or on line.
Addition medical travel insurance. ( many won't cover you on big bikes)
Breakdown cover.
The absolute minimum kit you can get your pillion to pack.
I would query about the medical travel insurance, as certainly in Belgium you get the right to the same health care as a national - though you do need the E111 (European Medical Card.) 

I would also make a few comments. 

If you are using a GPS.  Be aware that in France having the exact positions of speed cameras is not allowed.  Germany, & Switzerland also do not allow Speed camera warnings on the GPS.  Of course they have to catch you first!  :silence:

Hopefully you will have a good trip there, and back.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You do need medical insurance as the card does not provide  repatriation etc and they tend to make you pay for all medicines
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Arrived in Arbois this afternoon. No issues getting fuel on main roads. Just one station out of town which was - super unleaded. No queues anywhere which was a relief.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Glad to hear you had a trouble-free journey South. What's your next destination en route to the Italian lakes?
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

I've toured with Bike Normandy before: they're an English couple living in Normandy who arrange lots of tours on the continent.  Here's a link from their site on what is compulsory and what isn't. It might clear up the confusion in people's minds.

http://www.bneuropeantours.com/advice/