New knees this year!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Catfunt

New knees this year!

Post by Catfunt »

Looks like I'm gonna have new knees fitted this year. Out of interest, have any members had this done or know of anyone? I'm interested in finding out how long I'm going to be off the bike. I know the docs will give me a view but 'real world' experience would be useful. Both knees with stainless/titanium and PTFE bits as far as I can tell. Whoo hoo!
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New knees this year!

Post by T6pilot »

December 14 left knee replaced
10 weeks later back on bike, limited rides till 16 weeks
Follow ALL directions for physical therapy, knee takes awhile to heal, you will know when your up to riding, don't get in a hurry
I can't say it enough follow PT advice
Jim
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Cheers for that T6, I'm having both done but I'm told they will be done separately so presumably I 'll be off the bike for 5-6 months all up. Bummer but can't be avoided. At the moment I'm struggling to ride for much more than an hour without considerable pain.
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Catfunk
Attitude is everything, don't settle for anything less than 100%
My neighbor had one done then four months later other done
He was back on his Harley in 3 months, oh by the way hes's 80
I wear a neoprene brace for added protection
Jim
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hope your `op' go's well Catfunk, and a speedy recovery. Get the Doc, to give those stainless steel parts a squirt of ACF 50, before fitting,  keeps them sparkly and lubed...... ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Need one on the left, but Dr is trying to get me to age 60 first. He likes my chances of not having to get it redone if I get to 60 before surgery. Unfortunately, my brother is having to get his knee replacement redone in a couple of weeks. After seven and a half years, he had a sudden failure where something in there has broken free and the knee gets disjointed. Apparently that brand has recently suffered a recall. He is not at all happy.
bigrich

Post by bigrich »

I did a hip on June 3 2015. Was back on the bike August 2. Did a SS 1000 on August 16. Attitude is everything. Work hard at PT. You can do it. RH
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I'm 56 and need a Left knee replacement. I'm worried about the recovery time and if I'll need to do it all over again 10 years down the road. X-ray looks like a load of gravel and the dreaded bone on bone. Frankly I'm scared shitless.
Attachments
20160428_113022.jpg
Last edited by slowvet on Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Dec 14, new left knee
Feb 15 back on bike
Apr 15 2500 mile ride on my k1600
Follow very carefully doctors and PT schedule I ended up with 135 degrees of movement
By all accounts a success
Jim
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

How active are you T6? By that I mean I enjoy surfing, bicycling and my work is very physical. I'm always on my feet and on uneven ground. I pay in pain  when my knee flairs up (like now) so I take a few days off then it usually settles down. However, over the last 3 months I've had my knee give out and with it comes a sharp pain. It subsides till it randomly gives out again. My recent visit last month to my Ortho doc told me it's time. The problem is that I'm pretty much terrified of the procedure.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Haven't surfed in a year, left knee tender when on a board, by doc's orders no skiing, bike riding fine. Limit impact on new knee. No issue when on feet all day
Again I watch activities that involve impact, twisting
Jim
Texasmike

Post by Texasmike »

What T6 said. Had my right replaced 2 1/2 years ago when I was 67 and was back riding in 2 months. Had the right ankle replaced, along with a bunch of other work done, in early March and look to be back on the bike in another month. As has been said attitude and a good PT is critical.

Mike