Gas smell

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
TJriderVA

Gas smell

Post by TJriderVA »

when I return from a ride the bike smells of gasoline. It is noticeable near the front fork. 2011 RT is not the subject of the recall and my BMW dealer can't find a problem. No gas leak on the ground, but a distinctive smell that did not used to be there. Anyone have this problem, and maybe a solution?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Gas smell

Post by David. »

TJriderVA

Post by TJriderVA »

That was my first thought, but my bike was produced late in the year and was not the subject of the recall (they must have fixed the problem in manufacturing later in the production year), also the dealer looked at it and determined that was not the source. Thanks for the suggestion.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

It's only 4 screws to remove the upper left panel. I would pop this off and then you can clearly see if there are any leaks around the fuel pump controller/flange etc.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Used to be common on bricks,  sometimes depended on fuel levels but most importantly the ambient temperature. If the bike is been in a cool garage then out into hot sun or a jolly, fumes used to vent out due to the excessive pressure increase in the fuel system.
I know it was a totally different system to the LC, but stranger things can happen!!!!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !