How is the new RT in hot weather?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
apehair

How is the new RT in hot weather?

Post by apehair »

How is the new RT in hot weather?  Can you direct wind toward your legs or torso?

Thanks,

ape
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: How is the new RT in hot weather?

Post by richardbd »

No - the airflow is what the airflow is.

Never struck me as an issue...
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

Windshield adjustment, or go faster - that's it.  The FJR has the deflectors but everyone on their forums say they do little, and few can free what's the right direction setting for heat.
2014 R1200RT
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

1600 has wind deflectors, in my experience they did nothing
On my RTLC in 100+ days bike heat has not been a issue, cooling vest and neck gaitor go along way in keeping you cool
Jim
apehair

Post by apehair »

In my experience, once the temps hit 95-100 F,  you stay cooler when you stay out of the wind.  I rode my bare naked Harley through the Mojave desert one afternoon in July.  When my wife and I stopped, the temp gauge at the gas station said 115.  We were covered from head to toe with no skin exposed, which saved our bacon. 

It's between 75 and 95 that I like to have more of a cooling breeze.  In my test ride, keeping the windshield in the low setting helped.  I'm guessing the right gear, including cooling vest as you say, becomes more important.

I really liked the bike.  It gave me the impression of being like a good woman who is not as sexy to look at as other women, perhaps, but who is delightful company, wise, a great cook, and surprisingly fun in the sack.  Which, of course, makes her far more beautiful in time.

I'm working on overcoming my design prejudices.

ape

MacJ

Post by MacJ »

<<It gave me the impression of being like a good woman who is not as sexy to look at as other women, perhaps, but who is delightful company, wise, a great cook, and surprisingly fun in the sack>>

Who is this woman and where do I find her?

Until I find her I'll stick with the RT! :alas:
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

The answer is.....The new RT is quite good in hot weather. Yes, it has really good leg and body protections from wind. But what really gets you on many bikes is where does the heat from the engine go? Meaning heat from the radiators ( both oil and water ) can direct heat onto the rider and make for serious discomfort! The new RT has well designed heat outlets for the two radiators. Unless you stick your legs out into the air coming from those you do not feel excessive heat. Much better than my V Strom in that department for instance. My '04 RT had a LOT of heat coming up around the steering stem from the oil cooler. You get more air on your body, even with an aftermarket screen, on this RT. I would say it handles heat very, very well.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Cooling vests eh?

Somehow I don't think they'll sell many on this side of the pond......brrrr !!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

I've ridden bikes for years with just an all weather textile suit, taking out the liner in summer, but not doing much else.

Four years a go, I bought a heated liner, and it transformed my winter riding.&nbsp; I could manage an hour in minus temperatures, but anything colder than that, it would start to seep through to my bones.&nbsp; But with the heated liner, I can ride all day and feel as snug as a bug in a rug.&nbsp; I've seen -7 on the ambient temperature readout and my torso, arms and hands have been toasty.

So I'm beginning to think about buying a mesh suit that truly lets the air flow through, but provides good protection.&nbsp; Its a bit like a heated liner, you'll only buy one but its worth it for those few days a year when long journeys in the sun, even with vents open, are pretty hot.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

In answer to your question; yes it gets a bit hot on hot days. The great environmental protection afforded by the fairing design, can at times be too good. I do not know where you live or ride, I ride for both pleasure and commute here in South Florida. When both the temp and humidity are up in the 90's, it isn't bad when moving, but a 3-5 minute traffic signal can be a bit brutal. I am often adjusting the windshield to its lowest position to create airflow. Watch the engine temp at those long lights. I once had to shut it down while on a gas line during a 93° day, but that was the only time I resorted to that extreme. Highway pegs will help keep your legs cooler, but your torso is going to get warm. Very tempting to forego ATGATT.&nbsp; Don't. Find a good mesh jacket, and yes a cooling vest if needed. It all depends on where you ride.
Enjoy the ride. 8)
Oh the places we will go
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There is an easy solution to vented clothing.&nbsp; BMW came up with the Airflow suit about 12 years ago and that is on its 3rd or 4th generation now.&nbsp; Then 4 years ago they added a waterproof thermal lining and high viz panels and renamed it Airshell.&nbsp; This was improved last year with more waterproof pockets and improved fasteners.&nbsp; I use it all year round but must admit&nbsp; don't go out in extreme cold.&nbsp; Take the lining out and its super cool.&nbsp; And of course its fully armoured.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I know you park up during the winter, but around when does it get too parky for the jacket? Also looking for a good summer jacket, only got winter textiles.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If there's ice around I'm not.&nbsp; In 2013 I rode 360 miles in temperatures of about 6C and constant rain, non stop except for fuel.&nbsp; Didn't get cold or wet.&nbsp; Pi..ed off of course.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Great thanks, will check out the jackets&nbsp; :)
apehair

Post by apehair »

BackAtIt53 wrote: In answer to your question; yes it gets a bit hot on hot days. The great environmental protection afforded by the fairing design, can at times be too good. I do not know where you live or ride, I ride for both pleasure and commute here in South Florida. When both the temp and humidity are up in the 90's, it isn't bad when moving, but a 3-5 minute traffic signal can be a bit brutal. I am often adjusting the windshield to its lowest position to create airflow. Watch the engine temp at those long lights. I once had to shut it down while on a gas line during a 93° day, but that was the only time I resorted to that extreme. Highway pegs will help keep your legs cooler, but your torso is going to get warm. Very tempting to forego ATGATT.&nbsp; Don't. Find a good mesh jacket, and yes a cooling vest if needed. It all depends on where you ride.
Enjoy the ride. 8)

I live in Colorado, where it's winter until it's summer.&nbsp; It remains summer until it's suddenly winter.&nbsp; That's true of pretty much every state on the Colorado plateau.&nbsp; I've been trapped by a blizzard that dropped 3 feet of snow in Southern Colorado on Memorial Weekend.&nbsp; But I get ride almost year round, between the storms.&nbsp;

The sun beats down on you pretty hard here in the summer, so I keep cool with cooling vests.&nbsp; When I ride through the East in the summer, I pull over every hour and load up a Big Gulp glass with ice water.&nbsp; Pour it down my head until it soaks into my boots.&nbsp; Then I ride in A/C for the 30 minutes I take to dry off.&nbsp; After another 30 minutes I have to stop and soak myself down again.&nbsp; But I'm usually riding a Harley with no fairing or windshield.&nbsp; Not sure that trick would work on the RT.

I picked up a Softail Custom in Daytona a few years ago.&nbsp; To ride back to Colorado.&nbsp; It was August. I had all my gear on.&nbsp; Every time I stopped for a light, the sweat fell off me like a waterfall.&nbsp; Unreal.&nbsp;

It's good to hear you guys in Florida can ride the RT, too.&nbsp; There's no way I'd ride with anything but ATGATT.&nbsp; Not too many of us who do that on Harleys.

ape
Last edited by apehair on Fri May 27, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.