BMW topcase wiring/locks

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

BMW topcase wiring/locks

Post by timminator »

I just received the deluxe BMW topcase and extra brake light from KFM in Germany (part# 77 43 8 544 631 and 77 51 8 520 044).  I have a couple issues with it, one is the wiring harness and the other is the locking mechanism.  The case came with a large round plug, and there is nothing on my bike that's even close to fitting it.  After talking to my local dealer, i[size=2px]t turns out I cannot connect it to my wiring harness, since my bike does not have central-locking.  So, currently there is no way to connect the electrical.  The other issue is the lock itself.  I had the dealer add a lock cylinder, but the key won't turn.  Again, it turns out that the case was designed for central-locking, so the only way to lock and un-lock is through an electrical signal to some servo inside the case.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]So this is my dilemma.  As I see it, my options are:[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]1) Sell it and get the less expensive version that doesn't have the light/locking support builtin.[/size]
[size=2px]2) Attempt to color match the wires that go to my current brake light and splice them together.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I would also like to get the lock working, but I have no idea what my chances are there.  If I could get to it, it might be possible to disconnect it from that servo mechanism and turn it into a normal lock.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Has anyone run into this problem or tried to wire something like this?  The dealer told me that if I break into the wiring harness, I void my warranty, so that scares me a little.[/size]
Attachments
2016-05-28 11.17.40-1.jpg
2016-05-28 11.17.34.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW topcase wiring/locks

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi Timminator,
My bike has central locking but not key-less ride.
I have installed my 2005 RT Topcase (no-central locking function) onto my 2014 RT. While the bike was in for service, the dealer swapped the lock for the old case with a new one and coded it to my key for a total cost of $30. I can see no reason why the lock will not turn if it has been coded correctly to your key. When my saddlebags are off the bike and not connected to the central locking system , I can lock and unlock them with a key - and the bags must be removed from the bike using the key. I presume my dealer used either the key or the vehicle VIN number to do the work - and naturally both were on-hand since the bike was in the shop.

The central locking is activated either from via a button on the right-hand switch-gear or via an additional two-button battery fob.

I cannot help with the wiring for the brake-light, since this cannot be fitted to my 2005 box. I would talk to another dealer about your options.

John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If your bike was not built with central locking you obviously cannot make use of the system on the box.  The locks though can by used with a key.  if yours won't turn its because it's not been coded correctly.  I don't think there is any way you can connect the brake light safely.  Cut into any of the bikes wiring at your peril as the system will show fault lights on your dash or shut itself down. But I'm sure somebody will tell you how to get round it. You might be better off selling it on and buying the basic box which is a lot less expensive.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks for the tips gents, I wondered about the lock and questioned the dealer a couple times.  He was certain that if the key slides in all the way, the key is coded correctly.  Honestly, I could live without the brake light, but if I cannot lock the case, it's no good.

I think I will try to sell it and just get back what I paid, which is still *significantly* less than what the dealership wants for a new one.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The lock has to be coded out of the top box .  A key will always go all the way in but they have to change the tabs in the barrel so they all sit level before it will turn in the housing.  You have a duff dealer.
aweight

Post by aweight »

Hi there, PM me - I'd be interested in the box
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Mine has central locking and the latest OEM topcase. The cylindrical shaped plug has a mate under the passenger seat near and under the rack, it is a push and twist fit. On mine it supplies power for central locking, additional high level brake light and interior light, which, unlike the 1600, is always on when the lid is open, even after several hours.
timminator

Post by timminator »

blokeonthemove wrote: Mine has central locking and the latest OEM topcase. The cylindrical shaped plug has a mate under the passenger seat near and under the rack, it is a push and twist fit. On mine it supplies power for central locking, additional high level brake light and interior light, which, unlike the 1600, is always on when the lid is open, even after several hours.

Thanks for the info Blokeonthemove.  Would you mind trying a small test for me?  If you use your key, can you lock and unlock the topcase or are you limited to only using central locking button?  And also, if you don't mind, does it still lock/unlock with the key if the cylindrical plug is disconnected?

Thanks much, Tim
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just locked and unlocked my top case and its in the house, not on the bike, so not connected to the central locking plug  :)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Thanks for the info Blokeonthemove. Would you mind trying a small test for me? If you use your key, can you lock and unlock the topcase or are you limited to only using central locking button? And also, if you don't mind, does it still lock/unlock with the key if the cylindrical plug is disconnected?
Thanks much, Tim
Now you have to persuade your useless dealer that they have not done you a favor by inserting the lock into the case without first coding it to your key.

Of course, if the dealer thought you had central locking on the bike then the key would not be so important only the lock itself.
John Bentall
timminator

Post by timminator »

An update for all of you who responded.  The problem with the lock has been resolved, and I must admit it was not the dealer, it was the top case.  The newest "deluxe" BMW top case (when designed for central locking), does not need or allow the key to turn.  There is an electric motor that slides a pin back and forth inside the latch mechanism to lock and unlock.  The key position is always in the "open" direction, regardless of whether it's locked or open.  What baffles me is why BMW even allows you to slide in a lock cylinder.  They could have just as easily put a big black button there, the lock serves no purpose for this particular unit.

I spent 6 hours tonight completely disassembling the top-case.  I had to remove the lid first (don't even ask about the hydraulic assists), and then the lining of the lower portion.  Removed the latch and locking mechanism, and after an hour of fiddling with it, figured out how to modify the lock so it would turn.  It involved removing some plastic tabs, and eliminating the sliding pin mechanism altogether.  The cylinder now turns, it was keyed correctly by the dealer from the start.  The brake light still doesn't work due to lack of power, but I can live without it.  And I'm using this opportunity to paint the lid to match the rest of the bike, so all it not lost.

Thanks everyone,
Tim
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ok, so why does my lock work then, when not on the bike, I can lock and unlock the case whilst its sat on the floor. I have the delux case with high level brake light and central locking. So the lock does work with the key!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Caspar is  right.  There are symbols round the lock.  When the key is lined up with the dot that's for central locking. Try reading your handbook.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote: Ok, so why does my lock work then, when not on the bike, I can lock and unlock the case whilst its sat on the floor. I have the delux case with high level brake light and central locking. So the lock does work with the key!

What year was your top box manufactured Casbar?  I can't explain the difference, all I can do is tell you is what this box does.  Maybe I have a slightly different version that you.  The behavior this box exhibited is when unlocked, a push of the button popped out the release handle as expected.  When locked (by the servo), the button still pushed in but the handle does not pop up.  The act of locking it was aligning some plastic parts so that the button was no longer engaged with the latch mechanism.  The key position did not change whether locked or unlocked. 

After I removed the plastic pieces connecting it to the motor, the key turned perfectly.  Now when the key is turned it goes back to the traditional locking behavior of the button being frozen in place and unable to push it in.  At this point, I don't care what is going on, I'm just happy my box works!

Cheers all!
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The central locking top box cane out in 2011 fitted to the K1600GT. It has not changed at all since then.