Cases bar protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Ventura

Cases bar protection

Post by Ventura »

Anybody has any experience with the Wunderlich Cases Bar Protection ?? Any interference with Passanger legs ??
Cleverbee

Re: Cases bar protection

Post by Cleverbee »

I can say that if you have the winter kit on the frame they are a B'stard to fit !
The upper mount conflicts with the kit upper mounting, also interferes with lower flange, piccie to follow.  They do force the wife's feet forwrd on the pegs too, but manageable.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Here's the pictures.....

Patience is a virtue  :clap:
Attachments
IMG_20160505_122807.jpg
IMG_20160505_122750.jpg
IMG_20160505_122807.jpg
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Doh !
Attachments
IMG_20160505_122741.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Am I correct and thinking the bar is bolted to the alloy rear foot peg hanger.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Indeed it is, at any incident other than low speed, damage will occur, however when damage occurs where undue pressure will cause damage to the hanger my belief is that you'll be buggered anyway !
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Oh, once fitted you can't ride without the panniers......
Attachments
IMG_20160505_133906.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon that in any drop when that bar touches down you will have a bike with only one pillion footrest and you could damage the mounting points on the sub frame.  Lot better to risk a scuff on the pannier lid.  Only my opinion of course.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I reckon that in any drop when that bar touches down you will have a bike with only one pillion footrest and you could damage the mounting points on the sub frame.  Lot better to risk a scuff on the pannier lid.  Only my opinion of course.

and mine. 

Aside from all the joking about scaffolding, my real worry is that bars do more harm than good in an off and end up costing not saving...

Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

End of the day, it's all a matter of personal opinion.  Yes they were a bugger to fit and may damage the hangers or sub frame, but isn't that what insurance is for?
Life would be boring if we all rode identical machines, individuality is a good thing, hell, just look at some of the opinions that people are getting heated about.  Those for and against bars, top boxes, lights, tyres and colours for example.

Variety is the spice of life 😁
Tango

Post by Tango »

Cleverbee wrote: End of the day, it's all a matter of personal opinion.  Yes they were a bugger to fit and may damage the hangers or sub frame, but isn't that what insurance is for?
Life would be boring if we all rode identical machines, individuality is a good thing, hell, just look at some of the opinions that people are getting heated about.  Those for and against bars, top boxes, lights, tyres and colours for example.

Sanity at last  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sanity at last  :)

only if he takes them off.😹
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Aaaaaaaaaagh !!!! :nervous:
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Cleverbee wrote: End of the day, it's all a matter of personal opinion.  Yes they were a bugger to fit and may damage the hangers or sub frame, but isn't that what insurance is for?

This is true - after all, the Callisto Grey can only be the fastest because the others are slower...

;) ;) ;)
Camel747

Post by Camel747 »

I had the Wunderlich crash bars on my rt, but I took them off as soon as I discovered they touch the ground while riding at steep angles well before the footpegs do. This negates the safety warning system of the folding footpegs, and could end up in lifting the front wheel off the ground by even the smallest of bumps in a turn.

Besides that major issue, I wasn't impressed with fit and finish, and even had to grind away edges of the eyelets of the lower center piece to make it fit.

Wunderlich (in Germany) refused to even consider reimbursement and simply stopped replying.
Just my two cents.