Motorcycle Helmet Optics and cleaning

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mbro

Motorcycle Helmet Optics and cleaning

Post by mbro »

[size=12px]Hi all. I recently purchased a new helmet - Scorpion Exo T1200. Love it! This helmet has the internal sun visor, which I find to be an absolute must for anyone who wears prescription glasses. Anyways, the inside of the visor, and both sides of the sunshield have an anti-scratch coating of some sort on them. I had the visor up, and got a bug on the sunshield. I used my typical water + microfibre cloth to try and clean the sun visor, but it leaves a cloudy smear. As well, the sun visor seems to pull fibres out of my microfibre cloth. I've tried windex, I've tried a tea towel, as well as just water. I haven't found the right combination that cleans the scratch resistant sun visor really well. Its driving me nuts! [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]I removed the visor (exterior visor, not the sun shade) and cleaned it in the sink with dishsoap and water on both sides, and seems to have come clean. I don't want to dismount the sun visor in case I scratch or damage it, if I can avoid it. [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]Any thoughts? Tips? What do you use? [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]Marlen.[/size]
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Motorcycle Helmet Optics and cleaning

Post by T6pilot »

Generally anti fog coating
Dish washing liquid has adrasives, that's a no no
I've used antibacterial hand soap for many years on visors, no abrasives, rinse with lots of water, followed by micro towel
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

T6pilot is correct.  Hand wash is the way to go, then a good rince,  Try drying it off with a very clean wrung out leather.  If the visor is pulling bits out of the micro fibre cloth there is something wrong with it.  Anti scratch finishes are very smooth.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I use Mr Sheen, it leaves a rain resistant finish, I'm guessing that it is the edge of the visor or sunshield that shreds the microfiber cloth rather than the actual surface.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Most visors these days have an anti mist inner surface or a Pinlock fitted.  Clean these with anything but water and it will destroy the coating.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

For the sun visor I remove mine and rub it with my fingers under a running tap
mbro

Post by mbro »

Ok, popped out the visor without too much difficulty, cleaned it under the tap with warm water and just fingers.  Looks like I thoroughly scratched the crap out of it with something that was abrasive.  I'm thinking there must have been something on one of the clothes.  Crud...  New sun visor will be needed... 

BMWJim

Post by BMWJim »

Manual states "The faceshield may be cleaned with plastic polish or mild soap and water."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you put polish on a visor that is anti mist, like a Pinlock insert you will instantly ruin it.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

If you can find it, try "INVISIBLE GLASS". I have used it with great success on my windshield, headlight lens, helmet shield and internal sun visor.
Have yet to ruin anything. I have always gotten mine from WalMart in the automotive section.
Good luck, 8)
Oh the places we will go
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Anti mist type visors all have a surface that absorb a minute amount of dampness and this is what stops them misting up.  If you put any type of cleaner on them it can seal the surface and they won't work.  That are also very easily scratched.  Clean them only with water.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

To kill two birds with one stone.....  Rinse she sunvesor under running water whilst it's still in the helmet.
That way you wash your lining at the same time. be
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Alternatively don't sneeze, spit or dribble with your helmet on and it will stay clean.