cable to connect iPhone 5 to USB/AUX jack

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
cykins

cable to connect iPhone 5 to USB/AUX jack

Post by cykins »

Just joined this forum today!. I would like to play music from my iPhone 5C on the RT speakers as well as have the functionality that the USB port is supposed to offer. However, I now understand that you need a speciality cable from BMW to connect to the adapter port in the right hand case. Anyone know where you can pick up on of these cables?

Tks
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: cable to connect iPhone 5 to USB/AUX jack

Post by richardbd »

cykins wrote: Just joined this forum today!. I would like to play music from my iPhone 5C on the RT speakers as well as have the functionality that the USB port is supposed to offer. However, I now understand that you need a speciality cable from BMW to connect to the adapter port in the right hand case. Anyone know where you can pick up on of these cables?

Tks

Try the dealer!
;-)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Check this out on Ebay,  a search will find other versions cheaper, mine was for a Mini (car ) and works perfectly

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Mini-iPod ... 38567 

;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
cykins

Post by cykins »

Thanks for the heads up.......was wondering if that cable and iPhone 5 fits into that compartment?
Also, do you have full functionality that the USB is suppose to provide?

The other issue I have is that I live in Canada and not sure if this cable from Ebay can be delivered here.

Thanks again!

Alan Gollub

Post by Alan Gollub »

yeah.  just bought new loaded 16 RT.  i asked the salesman about cable, right pocket, plugging in my phone.  "Oh sure, that's what it's for."
got it home.  didn't fit in right pocket.  called dealership.  now the story goes that NOT ALL phones will fit.  I am B.S.  3rd year of this model
and he/they at the dealership knows exactly which phones will fit in the ridiculously small pocket with the ridiculously large cable.  BMW needs to
make a larger pop in container.  It's only a 6S IPhone.  Not the giant one. 
aweight

Post by aweight »

I've managed to fit my 6s into the right hand pocket - here's how.

Purchased a Mini (BMW) usb/aux to lightning cable - it's smaller and neater than the BMW one and works perfectly.

Warm the cable with a haridryer near the lightning conenctor, not too much - then gently form it into a U, bending the cable back on itself as tight to the connector as you can, secure with a small cable tie. This allows enough room length ways for the phone and connector to fit.

Warm the cable again, plug in the usb and aux and arrange the cable in an anti clockwise loop so the main body of the unit lays as flat as possible in the pocket.

The lightening connector should end up near the lock end of the pocket, facing towards the front of the bike.

Insert your phone, making sure it sits onto on top of the lip in the pocket and connect, close the lid

Hope this helps
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
Andy Leett

Post by Andy Leett »

I bought the dealer cable for my I-Phone 6, fits in the compartment fine, also full control of songs/ playlists etc through the audio system
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why not just buy a USB stick for next to nothing and leave the phone in your pocket.
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

What's so special about the mini/BMW connecter? I tried my standard plug today for grins and it didn't work.  Any idea if the ones on the US Amazon site will work?  Just don't want to buy something that doesn't work....
2014 R1200RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

PatriotBMW wrote: What's so special about the mini/BMW connecter? I tried my standard plug today for grins and it didn't work. Any idea if the ones on the US Amazon site will work? Just don't want to buy something that doesn't work....

It works. 
rsvldave

Post by rsvldave »

I used thhttp://www.amazon.com/Goliton%C2%AE-iDRIVE-ADA ... _o03_s00is ...Worked perfectly on my ipod. Why not just use a usb stick well first you have to listen to mp3's I prefer music in a lossless format and it just doesn't work as well as my ipod.