Older front tyres.

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
fatnfast

Older front tyres.

Post by fatnfast »

I much prefer the way my 1150gs handles compared to my RT, so have set about converting the RT to GS wheel spec. I found an old front wheel from a 1981 Yamaha XJ550 in my attic. Now, these bikes really handled in their day and as a bonus the front wheel is a 19 inch the same as a GS .
I can still use the RT axle as the new wheel will accept appropriate larger internal ID bearings. Spacers won't be a problem as I have some suitable metal pipe I can saw to the right size.
My question is do you think the Metzler ME99 front tyre will be OK? It has been in my attic for about 20 years, so protected from harmful UV rays.
The discs will be custom made by a firm I found in china.
I think it looks cool and should handle really well >:D
guest2360

Re: Older front tyres.

Post by guest2360 »

There was a bloke here a few weeks back in Romania trying to dismantle the braking system. But fitting a 35 year old front wheel designed for a much lighter bike and a tyre I had on an 88 R65 I think might end in lots of tears.
Only my opinion Of course.
Go on tell us it's a wind up.
fatnfast

Re: Older front tyres.

Post by fatnfast »

Rumbled already ;-(
I was going to follow up with replacing the single sided rear wheel with one from a Honda melody Moped :-)

Seriously though, it just my method that allows me to remove both front and rear wheels at the same time.

I've got some of the new Roadsmarts 3's being fitted on Thursday. I know that the bike will feel better as they are new, but will report back after a few thousand miles.....