Navigator Motorcycle Information Screen

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
monty

Navigator Motorcycle Information Screen

Post by monty »

Hi - I've seen a video where the Navigator V was demo'd on a GS and you could see lots of data about the bike on the screen which I believe was customisable

Can you get the same sort of information from the new RT ?

I did see something on the web that suggested this was only available on the GS and Adventure

Thanks

Ian
guest2360

Re: Navigator Motorcycle Information Screen

Post by guest2360 »

That's correct.  It's only available when mounted on a GS.  Impossible on an RT
monty

Post by monty »

That's a bummer - I was quite impressed with that - what makes the GS different in terms of things like engine temp, tyre pressure etc ?

Thanks for responding again :)

Monty
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I suspect it's the nonability of the dash to display it all.  The RT already displayed some of the items and some of it is recorded in the Nav V. Who really wants to know how many times you have changed gear anyway.
monty

Post by monty »

Thanks RTMan10
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

RTman10 wrote: That's correct. It's only available when mounted on a GS. Impossible on an RT
also available when mounted on an R1200R or an R1200RS too, only  the RT doesn't have it :(
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

Let's see if I understand the question: BMW Garmin Navigator V mounting on R1200RT bike?

I have a 2016 R1200RT, installed a BMW Garmin Navigator V GPS into the Bike's prewired socket for GPS unit mounting; as a result, the Navigator V, without push-button base used, mounts directly to the bike's GPS socket and operates all right.

The Navigator V works with the 'wonder wheel' but I don't believe it has all the data readout information presented that a K Exclusive bike has access and presents on GPS Navigator V display use? I don't have a K bike so I really don't know.

The prewired R1200RT GPS socket will support a Garmin LM660 GPS use, but the Garmin LM660 internal battery will not charge from bike's power source; as a result, no 'wonder wheel' GPS control and LM660 GPS will only stay powered and usable depending on LM660 GPS internal battery charge remaining.

Side note: According to Garmin Customer support for motorcycle products and BMW Navigator GPS products: The Navigator
V GPS may be used in the LM660 auto or bike mount without damage to unit. I have not tested this to see if the Navigator V battery charges all right while in these other mounts?
John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

johnesherman wrote: Let's see if I understand the question: BMW Garmin Navigator V mounting on R1200RT bike?

I have a 2016 R1200RT, installed a BMW Garmin Navigator V GPS into the Bike's prewired socket for GPS unit mounting; as a result, the Navigator V, without push-button base used, mounts directly to the bike's GPS socket and operates all right.

The Navigator V works with the 'wonder wheel' but I don't believe it has all the data readout information presented that a K Exclusive bike has access and presents on GPS Navigator V display use? I don't have a K bike so I really don't know.

The prewired R1200RT GPS socket will support a Garmin LM660 GPS use, but the Garmin LM660 internal battery will not charge from bike's power source; as a result, no 'wonder wheel' GPS control and LM660 GPS will only stay powered and usable depending on LM660 GPS internal battery charge remaining.

Side note: According to Garmin Customer support for motorcycle products and BMW Navigator GPS products: The Navigator
V GPS may be used in the LM660 auto or bike mount without damage to unit. I have not tested this to see if the Navigator V battery charges all right while in these other mounts?

I have, used to have a 660 before the Nav V, 660 charged ok in Nav V mount. Now i have a Nav V, it charged ok on my Harley with a 660 mount, behaved the same as the 660 did, which I gave to my son.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

My Zumo 660 works fine on the RT GPS mount, including charging,  although I don't have the functions of the Nav via the wheel..

Oddly though the GPS menu is available on the bike dash when the 660 is installed so it obviously recognises that there is a GPS there.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

johnesherman wrote: , but the Garmin LM660 internal battery will not charge from bike's power source; as a result, no 'wonder wheel' GPS control and LM660 GPS will only stay powered and usable depending on LM660 GPS internal battery charge remaining.
The Garmin 660LM will charge in the RT with GPS prepared bike, just you will not have audio integration to the bike or wonder wheel access to the sat nav.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The functions of the Nav V on the K1600 and the LC is identical as the dash is to all intense and purpose the same.
All,other types of Garmin units might work to some degree but not fully.
For me that is why I buy a GPS unit that is designed to work with the bike and it's mount.