2012 Gear shift adjustment

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
falconmick

2012 Gear shift adjustment

Post by falconmick »

Gents, I need to adjust the gear shift  to make it higher so that I can get my foot underneath. I have already loosened the allen key and turned the the gear peg as high as it will go, but need it to be higher. Is there a linkage anywhere that is not immediately obvious or any suggestions please?  Thanks in advance - Mick
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: 2012 Gear shift adjustment

Post by Steve F »

Is the Wunderlich foot peg lowering kit an option...??
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

falconmick wrote:I have already loosened the allen key and turned the the gear peg as high as it will go, but need it to be higher.
Has the gear lever been removed & re-positioned on the splined shaft.

"Rotating the gear shift lever clockwise by two teeth on the shaft and re-measuring the height of the toe peg from the ground - it was increased by just over 2.5cm or about an inch."

Removing the footrest plate, may make access easier.

Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Thanks for the replies gents - Steve yes footpeg lowering was one consideration. Dayglo Dave you just made another man very happy (ooh err) thanks, the photos are just what I needed. I did not want to start taking the bike blindly apart, but have now been out to the garage, taken the section of bodywork off and found what I need, will get on with adjusting tomorrow. Cheers :)
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

Dayglowdave  :vader:
That's one he'll of a helpful reply!  The trouble you've gone to, and the quality of the pics.
My old geography teacher used to say that a picture is worth a thousand words and it's as true today as it was in ahem.. 1978...  :-[
♻ larryblag ♻
siclmn

Post by siclmn »

Just a note for anybody doing a 2014 or newer. You can't change the position on the splines due to a different design but since I maxed out the adjustment and had to make more room for my very thick boots I just shortened the adjusting rod with a grinder on each end and solved the problem.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

[size=2px]That's one he'll of a helpful reply![/size]

I'll second that! I'm about to start adjustment on my 2011 gear lever and the pics. tell me all I need to know. Don't know about others out there with size 11 plates of meat but I find gear changing in the lower gears quite tricky. No problem in higher gears when the lever is up a bit so I'll adjust upward a tad and see what its like.
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE