Helmet / Comm question

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
tcarlson

Helmet / Comm question

Post by tcarlson »

Late last year, I purchased a 2015 R1200RT with the full complement of packages and I would like to get a Bluetooth system recommended by the group that works with the NAV V and iPhone 6+.

I have a large head (not just my wife's opinion) and the XXXXL HJC seems to be the only fit. I would be willing to get a helmet with integrated Bluetooth but most don't appear to be available in the larger sizes.

My preference would be to not hardwire anything to the bike but would entertain it if the recommendation was overwhelming.

Autocom?
Sena SMH20s?

Thank you for any assistance,
Tony
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Helmet / Comm question

Post by Casbar »

Plenty of comments on this subject. I have a Scala Packtalk and use it with the Nav  V and iPhone 6s, also have it hooked to the bike for music. As others will tell you, you will not be able to pair a second helmet to the bike, so both helmets will not get music from the bike (if you have audio). But good news is, my headset can get the music and share with the pillion so not a big issue.

Only system that will hook up completely is the BMW sys helmet bluetooth and auto com. But I am a BT man, because I share with my other bikes
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

RTman will be along shortly 😉
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maz12 wrote: RTman will be along shortly 😉

You mean autocom man  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just done 452 miles non stop except for an hour delay at Eutotunnel in the wind and rain, so no he won't be.  Not today anyway.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I use an Autocom system that is portable. Its a standard Autocom Logic with internal BT module. Its powered by 3 AA rechargeable batteries that last for ages. The small Autocom is carried in my tank bag. I use the system on two bikes which is why I wanted a portable system. The rechargeable batteries work really well and its easy to carry spares. I could have powered the unit from the bikes Aux socket but batteries for me are neater. One of my concerns of a wired system was the wire dangling from my helmet when not in use. I have found its not a problem I do not even notice it. I use it with Nav V on my RT and Garmin 350LM on my Pan. Once paired to each SatNav its plug and talk. It always works, good clear sound with no interference.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Just done 452 miles non stop except for an hour delay at Eutotunnel in the wind and rain, so no he won't be.  Not today anyway.

Good effort  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had 260 miles of continuous rain yesterday.  Autocom worked perfectly.  One of the bikes with me had BT headsets.  It packed up.  As you have an audio unit you cannot fully connect you and your pillion to it with anything but the BMW BT kit or a properly installed wired system.  So far as I know only Autocom supply all the necessary connections.  As Levis points out the connection cables are not an issue.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Fully agree, but with my Scala, I found over the weekend, that I can obviously connect to the bike and listen to the radio and the headset allows me to share any music input with the pillion, so my good lady can also listen to the same music I am. So a workaround that is fine.

Sat Nav, phone, still only comes to me, and intercom works fine.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Casbar wrote: Fully agree, but with my Scala, I found over the weekend, that I can obviously connect to the bike and listen to the radio and the headset allows me to share any music input with the pillion, so my good lady can also listen to the same music I am. So a workaround that is fine.

Sat Nav, phone, still only comes to me, and intercom works fine.

I do not know the quality of the Autocom or BMW kit when streaming music from the bike. But I'll put my hands up here, I was listening to music last night, doing about 70ish, and it was not what I would call hi fi quality  :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think the biggest problem with listening to music on a bike is all the external noise. I suspect if you want really good quality music then you need to have in ear headphones. I'm so pleased with my Autocom system that when I replace my Ultimate Ear moulded ear plugs I may go for their in ear headphone ones. Then the sound will go exactly where it should be and the volume will be able to be turned right down which should sound great. However its a luxury I can't afford yet so it will have to wait.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

I purchased the Sena S10 BT system and used for my recent italian lakes tour, which included a number of very rainy days. The system was brilliant, never missed a beat, providibg clear comms at 85mph and long battery life. Even had good quality music via the iPhone. Comes with a great app which allows you to control everyting via the mobile. Highly recommend,
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have a Sena SMH10, which has served us very well for a number of years.  We had the Scala G4, and it never worked properly.  Mrs Sleuth always had problems in hearing me, dropped connections etc.  (I know other people have good experiences with Scala, and bad with Sena.  However this is my experience!)

If the SMH10 were to fail, I would without hesitation purchase a new Sena.  Not sure if it would be the updated 10S or 20S!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth