Bye Bye Harley

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
River Jordan

Re: Bye Bye Harley

Post by River Jordan »

Rode my son's 07 RT. My Harley FLHT-P is going to be sold. Can't wait to purchase a "wet" RT!!!!
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I'm also in the ex Harley/now RT club though I've owned a large variety of bikes over several decades. Had a number of HDs including a couple of Sportsters, a Springer, a Glide and a couple of Road Kings. My last HD was a King, like several here. There seems to be a common link of people going from RKs to RTs.

I gave it up for the same reason as others have said, the sheer weight of the old pig. In a sad scene that's the mirror image of what happens when you're growing up, once past a certain age you become steadily weaker. I loved the RK though and I'm thinking if I wasn't as old as I am, I may have continued riding pork.

I actually found the RK more comfortable than the RT on long rides. I once rode the King to Poland, non stop except for the unavoidable but very brief fuel/coffee/french stops. Making it more enjoyable, it rained all the way for hundreds of miles across Germany. I ended up just across the border at some motel in Poland and wasn't quite as knackered and generally fed up as I thought I might be.

I enjoy the RT but I can't see doing the same journey without much longer stops. It's the arse part of your body that aches and then gives up first. But then again that could also be an age thing I guess.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I find my CVO RK a lot more comfortable, did 490 miles in Sept coming back from Scotland, only stopped for fuel and the inevitable p stop. I do get a sore bum on the RT, but I guess I could experiment with an Air Hawk. Cleaned the Harley last weekend in preparation for it going, and thought bloody hell thats heavy  :)

Saying that, had a moment the other night, was pulling out of a T junction at 2 am in the morning and wasn't paying attention and stall the bike as it was in 2nd, had to do a quick recovery thought I was going to drop it  :)  Must pay more attention, on the Harley it was like a tractor and could pull away easily in 2nd lol
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

Indeed, the Kings are torque monsters. Many people don't get HDs. Wot? 1,800cc (or whatever it is these days) and the acceleration, handling, weight and top speed of a carthorse? My Honda 50 cub will outperform it.

They're definitely an acquired taste and have to be judged by different criteria to "normal" bikes. Sheer USA incarnate, or in metal anyway. And I just love the USA.

Of the touring models I far preferred the King to the Glide, having owned both. However the Glide came into its own when I did a tour of many European countries with a pillion, taking all our kit. One of the rare occasions I've taken passengers cos I dislike doing so if I can help it.

The King though appeals the most, a big tourer yet with that wonderful stripped down appearance. I modified mine a bit with a solo saddle and a small rack where the pillion seat would have been. It then appeared so magnificent to me that I almost used to have a climax just looking at it.

The RT looks good too but not in the same way as a King.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Mine is/was the CVO so had the 110 lump and the saddles are split, so you can easily use with a single saddle. The guy who is buying it, has only paid a deposit and hasn't picked it up yet, still time to change my mind :)  Handling wise, mine is pretty good, the Rushmore bikes improved handling a lot
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

richardbd wrote: 54 for me too...
54 as well, bit of a pattern here........
SquamishRT

Post by SquamishRT »

At 72 I also just got rid of my 2008 Electraglide  for a 2016 R1200RT- had ridden smaller BMWs on tour in Europe but convinced this the way to go. Hope I get 8 years out of the RT, just like I did from the Harley.
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

River Jordan wrote: Rode my son's 07 RT. My Harley FLHT-P is going to be sold. Can't wait to purchase a "wet" RT!!!!
Congratulations! 

Better late than never.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
Bearbike1

Post by Bearbike1 »

I did the same thing selling a VTX 1800 to go lighter, now I have to get used to the new riding position, but love the RT.
Attachments
image.jpeg
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I went from a k1600 to a RT wethead, the 200 pound weight loss was amazing, my Harley buddies won't switch, although they are amazed how the RT rides and handles, my guess life would be boring if we all rode the same thingšŸ˜Ž
Jim
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

My first RT at 56. My first BMW at 51 with a flirtation with a VFR 800 between. Managed so far to keep the first BMW as well. Keep 'er lit.
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Same for me. Harleys. Then K1200RS. Now RT @ 58. It's a 50s' thing. Great bike.
Lagerloef

Post by Lagerloef »

No Harleys here but scads of bikes for 50 years. Just got my first BMW 2 days ago. I've wanted one for 40 years since regularly using my college roommates R60 in the 70's and have been ear to ear smile since Sunday. The lawn's going to suffer a bit this summer!
Lagerloef
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

UKDucatiman wrote: 54 as well, bit of a pattern here........

And the pattern may well continue... Looking to sell/trade my Harley CVO Road Glide for an R 1200 RT...

I'm 54...
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

My 2014 Harley Switchback is parked right next to my 2008 R1200RT.
That won't change for a long time.