Beeping noise when ignition switched on

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Liverpool Brick

Beeping noise when ignition switched on

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi Guys,
I'm new to my RT so still learning. When I switch on the ignition there's a beeping noise coming from somewhere low down on the bike. There is also a yellow warning triangle and a symbol that tells me, quite correctly, that one of my dip beam bulbs is kaput. Is the beep a back up to the visual warning or something else? There are no other warning lights of any kind, except diagnostic self checking on ABS and ASC, which go out after a few feet.
Cheers,
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
guest2360

Re: Beeping noise when ignition switched on

Post by guest2360 »

Has it got an alarm. Have you got a fod.
Liverpool Brick

No fob, just a plain key.
I've haven't yet replaced the duff bulb to see if it stops. The bike had been in the showroom then in my garage so I was wondering if it was a weak battery warning noise.
Andy
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be the bulb but I have never heard it on any of mine.  Definitely not the battery..  Somebody here will know for sure.
Liverpool Brick

I'll check it once bulb replaced and let you know.
Cheers,
Andy
Wierpig
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Be your exhaust flap seizing up
aweight

Post by aweight »

Hope this helps - my bike whirs and "beeps" too when the ignition is switched on - I notice it most when I am in a very quiet environment, I put it down to the bike calibrating itself - the sounds are mechanical not electronic, like control surfaces being put through their range of motion. I suspect it's throttle/exhaust and the like.

I previously had an aircooled R1200GS and this also did the same
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

When the ignition is switched on, the ECU turns the fuel pump on for a few seconds in order to prime the fuel system. Is that possibly the noise/whirring you're hearing...??
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Liverpool Brick wrote:When I switch on the ignition there's a beeping noise coming from somewhere low down on the bike.
With the silencer off the bike (2012 TC),  the exhaust valve can be viewed and seen to close/open as the ignition is switched on/off.

There is a definite noise associated with this action.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool Brick

Update!!
It's stopped doing it! I've not yet replaced the duff bulb so its nothing to do with that. As it was low down I am wondering if it was to do with the exhaust valve. Also as the bike had been sitting for a while in the showroom and now I'm using it, could something have freed up that had been a bit sticky?
I'm about to do a service on the bike in the next couple of weeks and I'll investigate the operation of the exhaust valve at the same time.
The noise was definitely electrical not mechanical - it was a beeping noise as if from a very small speaker.
I'll keep you posted
Andy 
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Every so-often my 2010 RT makes an electronic beeping.  It is very quiet, and easily missed.  However I think it has to do with the start-up checks, as the beeping is in time with the flashing warning lights of brakes.
Best regards, Sleuth
Liverpool Brick

[size=2px] However I think it has to do with the start-up checks[/size]

I wonder why it doesn't do it every time then? Or, if its checking something and beeping at what its found is it a warning beep? If so, why isn't it in the handbook, unless I've missed something. Interesting theory, thanks!
Andy
Liverpool Brick

[size=78%]Be your exhaust flap seizing up[/size]
Hi Guys,
I'm returning to an old post of mine and I think Wierpig is right. The beeping noise which now happens nearly every time I switch on the ignition appears to be coming from The exhaust control valve servo motor and on inspection the flap seems jammed solid in the nearly open position. It doesn't move when I switch the ignition on or when I start the bike, nor can I move it by hand.
The question is what do I do now? Is it possible to free up the flap if I remove it from the bike or am I looking at a new and probably expensive replacement? Any experience of this? 
Cheers,
Andy
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Might be wrong, but think there is a replacement bit of pipe to replace the section and remove the flap. On the LC, its part of the headers, so costs £1200 to replace if you can't get BMW to cough up. Don't think yours is that expensive though
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Might be wrong, but think there is a replacement bit of pipe to replace the section and remove the flap. On the LC, its part of the headers, so costs £1200 to replace if you can't get BMW to cough up. Don't think yours is that expensive though

When mine were replaced, they told me £1,300!