9 Easy Questions from a Lurking Newbie

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Re: 9 Easy Questions from a Lurking Newbie

Post by Levisp »

Precisely thats why the RT needs a locking system because you have no other option.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Levisp wrote: Precisely thats why the RT needs a locking system because you have no other option.

I wish some engineering genius at Touratech or Wunderlich would design some kind of locking straps for the nav.  They would sell like hotcakes if they did it right.
BMW MOA #210438
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I wish BMW redesigned the top fairing around the SatNav for locking capability and I would buy the parts for retrofit. Its a pity they didn't do it for 2016 bikes. Its been over 2 years. I know you can take it off and store in the lockable compartment but its a PITA. Its when you stop for fuel and go and pay that some scumbag will nick it, probably when you need it most on a tour.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Levisp wrote: I wish BMW redesigned the top fairing around the SatNav for locking capability and I would buy the parts for retrofit. Its a pity they didn't do it for 2016 bikes. Its been over 2 years. I know you can take it off and store in the lockable compartment but its a PITA. Its when you stop for fuel and go and pay that some scumbag will nick it, probably when you need it most on a tour.

I can think of several ways to disable the push button, but then the problem is you can't get it off yourself for map updates and downloading routes.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: I wish BMW redesigned the top fairing around the SatNav for locking capability and I would buy the parts for retrofit. Its a pity they didn't do it for 2016 bikes. Its been over 2 years. I know you can take it off and store in the lockable compartment but its a PITA. Its when you stop for fuel and go and pay that some scumbag will nick it, probably when you need it most on a tour.

Really you guys amaze me. What do you think the rest of us do. As I've said, I've never had a lockable sat nav. If your that worried you just push the button and stick it in your pocket  8)
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Best1. Light weight
2. Handling
3. Brakes, especially the early servo items ; )

Worst
1. Gearbox clunky 1 - 2 change
2. N/a
3. N/a

Accessories
1. Comfort seat
2. Touring screen
3. Top box

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Best:
1. LC engine
2. Handling
3. Callisto grey, extra fast paint scheme

Worst:
1. Exhaust note
2. Top box - practical but UGLY
3. Engine bars - impractical and UGLY

Must have:
1.  Akra end can
2.  Touring screen
3.  Advanced rider training

;) :alas: ;) :alas: ;)

timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote:
Really you guys amaze me. What do you think the rest of us do. As I've said, I've never had a lockable sat nav. If your that worried you just push the button and stick it in your pocket  8)

It's not that I mind the work of removing it, more afraid I will forget and it will be gone by the time I remember.
BMW MOA #210438
timjoebob

Post by timjoebob »

Great feedback everyone. Thanks.

Keep em coming!
-Tim, Former Winger now 2009 BMW 1200 RT
apehair

Post by apehair »

richardbd wrote: Best:
3. Callisto grey, extra fast paint scheme

Worst:
1. Exhaust note

Must have:
1.  Akra end can

Richard,
I will overlook the offense of blasphemy  >:D you committed against my RT, graced as it is by a blue paint scheme--which, I must add, is remarkably unlike previous RT's--so that I might benefit from your wisdom about the Akro exhaust.

However, I must first request a favor from you.  If I confess the grievous sin of having owned and adored not just one but more than a dozen Harley Davidsons, can you find the mercy in your heart to continue speaking to me?  I still own and still adore them, by the way, which means I am requesting absolution without admitting remorse.

I had to bring up the topic of Harleys because as a result of my long involvement with that marque, I am both highly sensitive to exhaust note and a bit wary of spending money on exhausts that fail to provide that much sought after mechanical symphony.  Which, to set the record straight, should never be evaluated on the basis of volume alone, particularly excessive volume.  Any more than rock music should.

So, my question for you is ... would an Akro exhaust, delightful on more sporty motorcycles, be unseemly on an RT?  Would it be the equivalent of equipping a Bentley with a Borla exhaust?  And would it be irritating on a long ride? 

Or it would it have the opposite effect?

I'd love to hear your opinion and, the more biased or prejudiced, the better.

Thanks,

ape

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm an ex Harley guy as well, last week sold my 2014 CVO Road King. It had V&H True duals and slash cut ovals. Sounded great and was a good improvement with the correct map.

I fitted the Akro two weeks ago, love it, not offensively noisy but sounds great when you accelerate. Its lighter than the standard can, but thats about it, no performance increase. I bought mine off eBay from a BMW dealer in Germany, took 5 days to arrive and was £628 delivered. Fitted it in about 30 mins. Really pleased with it
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

apehair wrote:
Richard,
I will overlook the offense of blasphemy  >:D you committed against my RT, graced as it is by a blue paint scheme--which, I must add, is remarkably unlike previous RT's--so that I might benefit from your wisdom about the Akro exhaust.

However, I must first request a favor from you.  If I confess the grievous sin of having owned and adored not just one but more than a dozen Harley Davidsons, can you find the mercy in your heart to continue speaking to me?  I still own and still adore them, by the way, which means I am requesting absolution without admitting remorse.

I had to bring up the topic of Harleys because as a result of my long involvement with that marque, I am both highly sensitive to exhaust note and a bit wary of spending money on exhausts that fail to provide that much sought after mechanical symphony.  Which, to set the record straight, should never be evaluated on the basis of volume alone, particularly excessive volume.  Any more than rock music should.

So, my question for you is ... would an Akro exhaust, delightful on more sporty motorcycles, be unseemly on an RT?  Would it be the equivalent of equipping a Bentley with a Borla exhaust?  And would it be irritating on a long ride? 

Or it would it have the opposite effect?

I'd love to hear your opinion and, the more biased or prejudiced, the better.

Thanks,

ape

Ape,

IMHO the Akra end can transforms the bike.  It doesn't make any difference to the performance but it looks so much better than the huge lump of chrome and stops the bike sounding like a sewing machine!

I tried it with the baffle out but that was too loud and made my head hurt when I rode.  I put it back and now I think it sounds GREAT...
apehair

Post by apehair »

Thank you, casbar and richard.  Good to hear.

ape
timjoebob

Post by timjoebob »

I took the plunge and sold my 2013 Wing (F6B) and bought a 2009 RT. Flying to South Carolina to pick it up and riding it home to Virginia. Excited!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 2.04.59 PM.png
-Tim, Former Winger now 2009 BMW 1200 RT
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timjoebob wrote: I took the plunge and sold my 2013 Wing (F6B) and bought a 2009 RT. Flying to South Carolina to pick it up and riding it home to Virginia. Excited!

Looks like a really nice bike - enjoy!!

8)