2014 speaker install

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
halflife1973

2014 speaker install

Post by halflife1973 »

Today I pick up a 2014 R1200RT LE, trading in. My 2012 Multistrada. She is fitted with everything except Audio and top box so these will be my first modifications.

Has anyone fitted speakers to an LC? Do you know the size of the speakers and do they need to be waterproof? Also what Wattage will the need to be to match the volume of the OEM system.

I think I will fit a waterproof radio / amp as well. Has anyone already done this and could share some photos of their set up please.

Thanks in advance for any help.
:music:

Halflife

guest2360

Re: 2014 speaker install

Post by guest2360 »

That's going to be a mammoth task.  The OEM kit can be retro fitted  but is very expensive, no change out of £1500 I suspect.  In addition there is very little space on the bike to fit additional kit.  Your bike only has one front locker designed to take the GPS.  The speakers on the bike are not much use at speed but are, and need to be waterproof.  Best of luck
halflife1973

Post by halflife1973 »

Always liked a challenge. Guy at work has a 2015 that he has fitted amp and speakers to (no radio, just a plug for iPod) plan on trying to get specs out if him and will share when I do but just wondered if anyone had gone the whole hog with the radio as well

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I was wondering how much space was actually behind those grills and if it would be worth trying to convert it into storage compartments. If it could be made water tight it would be a neat spot for a wallet, cell phone, keys etc.
halflife1973

Post by halflife1973 »

OK. Almost everything in order. Gone for a Pyle 300 amp marine amplifier. Some 5 1/4" alpine coaxial speakers that I plan in making custom mounts for. Only thing I have not decided on yet is radio and antenna. Loads of space behind speaker mounts and also behind the rh cover (the oposit to the locking glove box. ). Shark audio do a cheap stand alone radio but mixed reviews. Then, at the other extreme there is the Jensen stuff which looks really good but only really available from the states  and not cheap. Going to rig up as amp and speakers first and run with iPod . one happy with everything I will make the decision over the radio

SweRT

Post by SweRT »

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4]
Firenailer wrote: I was wondering how much space was actually behind those grills and if it would be worth trying to convert it into storage compartments. If it could be made water tight it would be a neat spot for a wallet, cell phone, keys etc.
Was also wondering and got an idea some weeks ago when I saw two speaker covers as breaking parts at eBay. Made an offer and are now waiting for the shipment but have meanwhile also started some hobby work to realize these ideas. See photos. Will despite the absences of these extra compartment storages now take a break for a longer holiday tour with our bike but once finished (and anyone think it’s worth it) I will add some more info under the topic Accessories
Have a nice summer
Kari

Attachments
4-4.jpg
3-3.jpg
2-2.jpg
1-1.jpg
halflife1973

Post by halflife1973 »

Stereo install has begun with some custom mounts. These are just prototypes that I am going to get lasered out of stainless. Amp next to go in and Jensen JHD910 RADIO on order. Should have it complete in a few weeks.

Amp going on the left where the blank stereo buttons are. Will only be a volume switch on display. Not sure about radio yet but probably on a Ram mount unless I can think of anything better.

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1436737212850.jpg
Last edited by halflife1973 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

After all the labor hours, how much will you really have saved?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

halflife1973 wrote: OK. Almost everything in order. Gone for a Pyle 300 amp marine amplifier. Some 5 1/4" alpine coaxial speakers that I plan in making custom mounts for. Only thing I have not decided on yet is radio and antenna. Loads of space behind speaker mounts and also behind the rh cover (the oposit to the locking glove box. ). Shark audio do a cheap stand alone radio but mixed reviews. Then, at the other extreme there is the Jensen stuff which looks really good but only really available from the states and not cheap. Going to rig up as amp and speakers first and run with iPod . one happy with everything I will make the decision over the radio
Have you ever had a bike with a radio before? - I've had 3 RT's with radios. The only reason I have a radio on the current bike is that I was able to find a used one within my budget. You will not hear the radio with any clarity above 40-50 mph, so you will need to focus straight away on how you will get the sound into your helmet - either hard-wire or bluetooth - if you plan to go faster. I presume you plan on adding a remote so that you can switch channels on the move, which is the great advantage of the integrated BMW system.
Although the BMW system comes with speakers it is really designed to used with a BT headset.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I hear a lot of folks talk about not hearing the RT radio. Since I have installed the Werks Quiet Ride tinted windshield, I hear my radio loud and clear. I just made a trip from Louisiana to Washington DC. I played the radio the entire trip and at 70-80 I did not miss a note. The windshield changed the entire way the bike rides in wind and rain.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And you had a full face helmet on with ear plugs in?
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

No, Just my old 1/2 helmet from my Harley days and of course ear plugs. Once you ride with ear plugs you will never ride without them again. Blocks out wind and lets radio come in, strange but true.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't recall ever seeing one of them over here.  With a full face helmet on you will be lucky to hear anything from the speakers above 20mph. It's been the same on every RT I have owned since 1997.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

halflife1973 wrote: OK. Almost everything in order. Gone for a Pyle 300 amp marine amplifier. Some 5 1/4" alpine coaxial speakers that I plan in making custom mounts for. Only thing I have not decided on yet is radio and antenna. Loads of space behind speaker mounts and also behind the rh cover (the oposit to the locking glove box. ). Shark audio do a cheap stand alone radio but mixed reviews. Then, at the other extreme there is the Jensen stuff which looks really good but only really available from the states  and not cheap. Going to rig up as amp and speakers first and run with iPod . one happy with everything I will make the decision over the radio

So, are 5-1/4 the size of the OEM speakers?