Heated seat malfunction on 2014 LC

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Lucky

Heated seat malfunction on 2014 LC

Post by Lucky »

Here's a teaser that I had given up on but perhaps the combined knowledge of the forum might have a clue...

The heated seats controlled by the wonder wheel on my 2014 RT LC have been temperamental from new. The rear was replaced under warranty as a faulty seat, but the front has a mind of its own. Sometimes it used to be possible to regulate the heat through the wonder wheel as it ought to, but other times the seat would provide virtually no heat, or went into 'melt down' and was unbearably hot whilst on the lowest setting.

I have been reporting this to my dealer at each service with mixed results. Sometimes normal service was returned, only to revert to its bad old ways. The bike was given a full diagnostic test, and supposedly the guru at Mothership was consulted, all to no avail.

My problem, apart from now being out of warranty, is the the heating was 'fixed' before I had a RDL seat rebuild, Predictably the heating has since played up again, and now stopped completely, and all my dealer can say is "sorry, seat heavily modified" which translates to 'go away'.

My suspicion has always been an ECU problem but maybe it was a dodgy wire in the heating element.

I reckon my only way forward, apart from giving up, is to try an swopping with an unmodified seat and see if the issue recurs.

Anyone have othe suggestIons?
guest2360

Re: Heated seat malfunction on 2014 LC

Post by guest2360 »

I can understand the dealer saying sorry because the seat has been modified. 
If you can borrow another one to see if it's the seat or the bike causing the problem is probably your only option.  I have never come across the problem again
Lucky

Re: Heated seat malfunction on 2014 LC

Post by Lucky »

Thanks RTman10. I'll update the thread in due course.