UK headlight in Europe

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

UK headlight in Europe

Post by slparry »

am I right in assuming that the headlight on a 2014 LC RT is universal for the UK or Europe, realoem shows only one part available so I assume it's a neutral cut off light?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=63_1591

Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
guest2360

Re: UK headlight in Europe

Post by guest2360 »

You are probably right.  Ask it for a USA one you get the same part number.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

This link might be useful.  Talks about lights and plenty of other myths too ...

http://www.bneuropeantours.com/advice/
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

I believe so. Before leaving for my short break in Normandy for the easter weekend I pointed the bike at night against a wall to check the light alignment and noticed that the low beam profile is completely flat, ie the light beam does not rise on the left as it would normally do on most vehicles.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rusty-pie wrote: I believe so. Before leaving for my short break in Normandy for the easter weekend I pointed the bike at night against a wall to check the light alignment and noticed that the low beam profile is completely flat, ie the light beam does not rise on the left as it would normally do on most vehicles.

Yes all bikes normally are flat, even my Harley was the same
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Having just got back from Europe trip, I found I was flashed by a few cars in the tunnels, so presume something was a miss from the light set up for over here!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All pre LC RTs do have left or right dip headlights so that's probably why you annoyed our European friends. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There you go then, just proves I know knack all  :) :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Here's a true story to prove the point.
A gentleman with a 2007 RT was on 9 points all for not noticing speed cameras so he came up with a cunning sceme 
He decided to register the bike in France as over here they don't bother chasing foreign registered vehicles for such small matters.
This required the bike to be tested which included having the correct headlight fitted.
A few days later he was asking me to order him a new headlight. 
When he went to collect his bike after it had been re-registered he asked the garage for his UK light back which he intended to put back in. That's no good in France Sir so we put it in the skip.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Now if it had been a 2010 RT, I could have let him have a UK headlight unit!

When I bought the RT & imported it into Belgium, one of the requirements was a European headlight.  The garage did the modification for free, and then let me have the unit!
Best regards, Sleuth