Experience with BMW's Bluetooth Communication System.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Lagerloef

Experience with BMW's Bluetooth Communication System.

Post by Lagerloef »

First of all, I'd like to say hello. Three weeks ago I bought a pristine '14 R12RT w/4600 miles & all options. I've been on motorized 2-wheel machines for over 50 years but this is my first BMW. I've wanted one since I was a teenager but 'stuff' just seemed to keep getting in the way. It's better now! What a great bike!
  It seems like there is lots of experience on the forum with comm/bluetooth headgear but not much discussion concerning BMW's Comm headsets (designed for the 1200RT's and the 1600's). I called a local dealer today to check on stock and was told BMW's proprietary comm equipment is only suited for the Schuberth helmets. I find this very, very hard to believe and will be checking with another dealer tomorrow. I would like to know if someone has experience with the BMW equipment, especially used with something other than Schuberth's helmets. I have two of Shoei's newest open face helmets and one Shoei full face and would like to stick with these. I see the Schuberths are recommended but that would seem to be a long way from exclusive use only. Does anyone have some experience?
Thanks in advance.
Lagerloef
aweight

Re: Experience with BMW's Bluetooth Communication System.

Post by aweight »

Hi - in Europe BMW sell the comms system fitted to their own helmets, which I believe are manufactured by Schuberth for BMW, I have the System 6 Evo - it's a great choice.

My understanding is that BMW were unable to gain DOT approval in the US (not sure why?) and that this led them to offer a comms system that was suitable for the Schuberth C3 and C3 Pro - this has special cut outs and mouldings in the EPS liner to fit the comms gear much like BMW helmet

i have heard of US riders importing the BMW helmets

I've also seen this video on youtube that shows a rider adapting a Schuberth which wasn't designed for the communications kit and wondered if you night be able to "borrow" this riders approach to adapt the system to your Shoei's? It looks like a ton of work though

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sDkPQ2wpE8

Hope this helps ^-^
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you only ride solo I wouldn't bother with the BMW stuff.  Any modern Bluetooth kit will work with your bike for a fraction of the cost.
If you ride with a pillion that's another story well documented here.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I have the BMW Bluetooth helmet kit, fitted to a BMW Airflow open face helmet and I have the factory radio/audio system and nav on the bike - 2015 LC. The comms works fine and I like the helmet too though it looks bigger on your head than some open face jobs. The Bluetooth connects without problem to the bike/nav/iPhone so I can listen to the radio or other input and hear the nav voice instructions or have phone calls if I want, though I don't want to when I'm riding, glad to get away from the damn phone so I turn off phone calls.

I decided to go with BM kit as it was the most likely to work without problems and I don't want hassle, even though it is more costly. Problems with comms seem to be a common message on BM forums and it's nearly always where aftermarket kit is being used. I've never tried any other brand of comms so can't compare them, but my experience with the BM kit has been good so since you asked, I can recommend it.

Here in the UK my dealer installed the kit into my BM helmet, they wouldn't sell it separately claiming it was BM policy. I don't know if that's true or not but anyway, I was happy for them to do it because I'm not particularly skilled at such things and if there was a problem it would be down to them.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I too have a BMW bluetooth unit fitted to a BMW System 6 Evo.  It works faultlessly and is 100% idiot-proof.

Not sure about how it would fit in a non-BMW helmet.  My understanding is that it's specifically designed for the BMW lids but what that actually means, I don't know.  I dod suspect that fitting it amy be tricky - my dealer wouldn't let me do it myself because he was worried I'd damage things...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your right, it's designed to fit the System 6 helmet.  I've never managed to find if its a different design that they use in the US. 
When they work they are very good but having once sold them I know they can play up. 
I still can't believe the system doesn't mute and if used as a pair doesn't fully communicate with everything on the bike or is fully controlled by the wheel.
Lagerloef

Post by Lagerloef »

Thanks for the feedback. All very interesting and appreciated. I visited the dealer in Barrington, IL today and spoke with Dan in parts. Great guy. The BMW's comm system is definitely for the Schuberth helmets (at least in the U.S.) and he couldn't recommend tearing into a new Shoei helmet to try to make it fit. He thought I would probably destroy the helmet. So, I will explore the aftermarket which seems plentiful. I know there are lots of good units and lots of posts on the forum about them but does anyone have a company/product that they are really tickled with? I want to be able to tie into the bike as much as possible, speak with my rear seat rider, plug in iphone for music and calls. Great day for riiding in the midwest. 75°/24° with light wind and abundant sun so the hour ride to Barrington was a joy.
Lagerloef
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just be aware that no make but BMW will connect to both Bluetooth modules in the audio unit.  This means that only you, or your pillion will be able to connect to it.
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote: I too have a BMW bluetooth unit fitted to a BMW System 6 Evo.  It works faultlessly and is 100% idiot-proof.

Not sure about how it would fit in a non-BMW helmet.  My understanding is that it's specifically designed for the BMW lids but what that actually means, I don't know.  I dod suspect that fitting it amy be tricky - my dealer wouldn't let me do it myself because he was worried I'd damage things...

What I'm curious about is whether the music sounds decent with the BMW bluetooth?  I have the scala rider Q3, which seems to work fine and is reliable, but the audio quality for music is awful.  The phone, intercomm and nav sound fine, it's only music that is tinny and static filled.  I would gladly pay for the factory BT kit if I knew it worked, but not wanting to spend $450 to find out.

BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The BMW kit gives good quality sound from the audio system.  However if you want true high quality stereo from it go for a wired system.  That way you have full control over volume for both headsets, you both get the phone and GPS, you don't ever run out of power and it's half the price of BMW Bluetooth.  Look up Autocom .
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: The BMW kit gives good quality sound from the audio system. However if you want true high quality stereo from it go for a wired system. That way you have full control over volume for both headsets, you both get the phone and GPS, you don't ever run out of power and it's half the price of BMW Bluetooth. Look up Autocom .
+1😊
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
timminator

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: The BMW kit gives good quality sound from the audio system.  However if you want true high quality stereo from it go for a wired system.  That way you have full control over volume for both headsets, you both get the phone and GPS, you don't ever run out of power and it's half the price of BMW Bluetooth.  Look up Autocom .

I hear you, RTMan...I have considered it.  Are you able to control the radio volume with the wonder wheel with autocom?  Also, I do occasional bike-to-bike, or I should say bike-to-scooter intercom.  Would I need two autocom units for that?
Last edited by timminator on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The Autocom works bike-to-bike via a radio set. The other bike has to have a radio, which could be hooked into a full Bluetooth set-up (yes, a BT-enabled radio) or into another Autocom unit. The bike-to-bike range with a radio is greater than with Bluetooth, which is line-of-sight technology.

As a long-term Autocom user, I can see this technology diminishing. We will be the CD users in a world of MP3 players and internet music.

It is difficult to persuade folks from BT into wire-based systems, but not difficult to stay once you have arrived. 

John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me thinks people will one day realise that for the sake of just one connection cable Bluetooth just ain't worth the hassle.  And you are never going to get the sound quality from it.  And yes the wheel controls all the volume on whatever you have connected via Autocom.  As long as the Autocom is connected to the audio unit of course. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Me thinks people will one day realise that for the sake of just one connection cable Bluetooth just ain't worth the hassle.  And you are never going to get the sound quality from it.  And yes the wheel controls all the volume on whatever you have connected via Autocom.  As long as the Autocom is connected to the audio unit of course. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me thinks your a dinosaur  :)