Looking for an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Archdeci

Looking for an RT

Post by Archdeci »

Hi all

This is my first post here.

I've been toying with the idea of an RT for a couple of years and now that I've sold my Fazer I'm dying to get another bike.

I have ridden RTs for years at work, I cannot justify the cost of a new one so will be no doubt looking at an earlier on probably 06 onwards.

Recently I've learnt of the servo brakes on the early R1200RT and that they can apparently be problematic. With that in mind I'd appreciate any advice or tips, should I steer clear of the servo models?

Regards

Lee
fatnfast

Re: Looking for an RT

Post by fatnfast »

I would avoid the servo. They don't all go wrong, but when they do you are left with residual braking. The later the model, the better it is generally.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Look for an 07 onwards.  Much better bet with normal brakes.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Even though I have an excellent low mileage 2006 RT with servo brakes, which have never given any issues I have to agree with the others and recommend going for a later 2007 bike. Main problem I see is in the event of a serious issue with a servo bike you are basically looking at a £1700+ bill for a new unit, so very expensive and getting hold of one is likely to prove difficult as time goes by.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Go with the newest bike your pocket book can afford
Each year their has been improvements, hex head to cam head to LC. Like others have said, servo brakes are fine tell they are not, then the $$$ can add up quickly
Whatever bike you decide on have a qualified mechanic do a through inspection, well worth the expense
Jim
Archdeci

Post by Archdeci »

Thanks for the replies and advice. I've since bought a mint 07 plate low mileage low owner RT with full BMW history.

Cheers

Lee