Hello all, new guy from New Hampshire, USA

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

Hello all, new guy from New Hampshire, USA

Post by Methos1979 »

[size=2px]Hi all, new guy from New Hampshire, USA. New to the RT but not to BMW bikes having ridden an R1200C Phoenix for several years up until 4 years ago. We test rode an RT the other day and were surprised to find we loved it. I say surprised because when we test rode four or five years ago we hated it. Go figure. Maybe there was change in that time? Anyway, after riding a 900 lb Harley the last four years riding the RT was like getting on scooter. Funny when a 600 lb bike feels 'light'. And that pep - gosh how I missed the Boxer engine! The one thing I didn't like about the RT is the pencil-thin grips which made my throttle hand go numb almost instantly. I'm assuming there's either an OEM or aftermarket fix for that? I also need some sort of back rest for the wife. She almost flew off at the beginning of the test ride - not used to all that [/size]acceleration[size=2px]![/size]

Anyway, no new RT yet. The Harley is on the market and I'm here to avail myself of all your knowledge through the Search function. I'm also not new to Bike Forums having spent several years on the Chromehead forum and then four more on the Shark forum (HD RG). Looking forward to getting an RT and getting back to Boxer love! Just wanted to say hi. Tried to post this yesterday but ran into some sort of problem. Let's see if it takes this time!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Hello all, new guy from New Hampshire, USA

Post by T6pilot »

Skinny grips can be easily addressed by GRIP BUDDIES or GRIP PUPPIES  I went from a 1200GS to a 1600GT to a 15RT haven't looked back, fantastic touring bike that handles like a sporty bike!!!
Jim
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

Welcome to the board! Post some pics of your new RT when you get it.

I use these grips:

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Welcome.
When you bite the bullet, go for the top box. That will give you the backrest you are looking for. Thin grips can be taken care of by any slip on aftermarket grip cover. Mine are textured neoprene, cost about $10 and work like a charm.
Take care, stay safe.  8)
Oh the places we will go
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Welcome,
I use Grip Buddies in mine and problem solved. My wife loves the Backup back rest so, you don't have to worry about losing your precious cargo.

Hope you get your RT soon. I went from HD Fat Boy to 2016 RT and could not be happier.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Gonzo wrote: Welcome,
I use Grip Buddies in mine and problem solved. My wife loves the Backup back rest so, you don't have to worry about losing your precious cargo.

Hope you get your RT soon. I went from HD Fat Boy to 2016 RT and could not be happier.

What is the 'Backup back rest' you refer to?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Greetings from the left coast...RT's are the bomb, recommend you get one soon.
BMW MOA #210438
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Methos1979 wrote:
What is the 'Backup back rest' you refer to?

Check it out here:
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw-r-bak