2015 RT Complete Electrical System Shut Down

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
pdxairhed

2015 RT Complete Electrical System Shut Down

Post by pdxairhed »

Anybody had a complete and abrupt electrical system shut down that could only be corrected by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 2015 RT Complete Electrical System Shut Down

Post by T6pilot »

Possibly the electronic ring, surrounding key or push button
Being a 15 I would hope it's a BMW problem under warranty
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Not had that one.  Doesn't sound good though!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ring your dealer NOW.
pdxairhed

Post by pdxairhed »

I considered the ring around the push button, which I understand has been a problem in prior years. The bike is under warranty, so I took it to the dealer who hooked it to the diagnostics, but no fault codes were found. I expected that disconnecting the battery would clear fault code memory however I asked a service tech at Max BMW if the codes are erased when the battery is disconnected and he said, "no." If that is true there should have been a DWS code (or something). What puzzles me is the abrupt nature of the problem. When the engine died the dash display (all dash lights and the information display) turned off. I pressed the keyless ignition button and for a moment the display lit up and the speedo and tach gauge needles went to 120 mph and 7,000 rpm, respectively. Then it died for good however the gauge needles remained at 120/7,000. It was as if the CPU started the system test and then froze.
JDPEagle

Post by JDPEagle »

It's been a while since this post was updated. This really sounds like a loose connection at a battery post. Any updates/fixes provided, or has the issue represented?
daveckelley

Post by daveckelley »

I recently experienced the same issue, I dropped the bike in gear while having the kickstand down. All systems went blank. I checked fuses they were good (surprised to see only two). It was totally dead, no horn, no lights. It's a relatively new bike, few months old. While enjoying 3k miles. So I checked the battery and as someone alluded to it seemed as if the battery lead was only finger tight. So I tightened it and I was back on the road! So far, no repeat (200miles).

R1200RT Ebony 2016