Now to buy some shiny stuff

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Sprintgull

Now to buy some shiny stuff

Post by Sprintgull »

Hello All,
Newbie here. Just ordered a new RT and pondering some options. Thinking about some protection for the heads (one day I'll drop it, right?). Does anybody have a view on Touratech engine bars vs the bolt on head protectors? Also, I need to mount a nearly new Zumo340 somehow. It has a Canbus connector so I should be able to find a plug somewhere. The actual physical mount is more of a challenge. Currently it is stuck to my old 1300GT using a Touratech locking cradle and a mounting bar that sits above the instruments. I've seen something similar by Hornig. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this, or any better ideas. Can't afford an Navigator V!
Thanks for your time.
Kevin
guest3074

Re: Now to buy some shiny stuff

Post by guest3074 »

Sprintgull wrote: or any better ideas. Can't afford an Navigator V!
If you can get hold of a Garmin 660 this fits the mount and works, just doesn't do audio integration with the bike or the wonderwheel  ;)
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

Consider ztechnik guards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

The factory guards are the least visible, and actually work pretty well.  My bike dropped within the first week I had it, and the guard worked perfectly, I can't say as much for the pannier though.  I did have to replace the plastic edge piece on the factory guard, it was $18.
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Machine art Moto makes cylinder head protection covers
Work quite well in zero speed tip overs. Another worthwhile
Investment is BMW side case protection strips, fit both the 1600 and RTLC
Jim
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

I have installed the machineartmoto cylinder guards

http://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014-rt_lc/x-head_lc/
Attachments
12933061_10208933311320910_4417512711921417433_n.jpg
12920306_10208933311200907_170712934680085714_n.jpg
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I think it will be head protectors for me.  An accident big enough to damage the engine..... hmmm, crash bars low on the list of priorities.  Far more likely I'll drop it while paddling about.

Has anyone tried to fit a Zumo 340 type cradle (the type that just has two pins for power) in the place where the Nav V cradle sits? The alternative is to buy a Hornig bar (https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... RT-LC.html) .  That way I can bolt the touratech cradle from the K13GT straight to this bar instead.  No drilling needed, so if Santa's generous one day it can all be removed and  Nav V fitted instead.

The best news?  Bike's being built next week  :be happy:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I would look for a used 660 Garmin that fits the cradle if you can't push for a Nav V. Lot of effort to wire another cradle for a small saving against a new bike. Won't the dealer do you a deal on a Nav V?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote: Lot of effort to wire another cradle for a small saving against a new bike.

Not that much effort - but the gain is a locking Touratech Satnav mount.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not that much effort - but the gain is a locking Touratech Satnav mount.
Me thinks you would need to do some serious butchering to fit one if those in.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Sorry I should have been clearer above.  This is the mount I've found: https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... html.  Looks quick and easy provided I can find a spare canbus power feed.  The 340 only needs power, it is not plumbed in to the bike's wonder wheel.  Anyone tried one?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So the mount is £60, that is a chunk off a Nav V, sell your old GPS another chunk off. Can't see why you would bother messing around when your bike is already plumbed and fitted for a sat nav that works with it. There are plenty of threads about locking the sat nav in, its not that much of a hassle not having it locked.

Anyway, your bike, your choice.  :)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

I had a fairly new Garmin 590lm when I got mine, I sold it and put the money towards the Nav V as after spending £16k+ on a bike I wasn't going to spoil it for a couple of hundred quid, but that's just my opinion  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The lock problem isn't really a problem.  The bike has a custom made locker for it which is a much better option than leaving it on display asking to be ripped off.  That lump of iron has been around for a couple of years but I have yet to find anybody daft enough to bolt it to their nice shiny bike.  Wiring would also be a messy affair. Sell what you have and try for a deal on a V or find a 660/IV.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Thanks guys, you are right of course.  I reckon sticking a nearly new Garmin 340LM, Touratech cradle and Touratech bar mount thingy for the GT on Flea Bay should get me maybe £250, plus there's the saving on the bar I needed to buy, so a Nav V is not that far away.  Let the wisdom shine through!  Cheers All.