Older RT'S

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fatnfast

Re: Older RT'S

Post by fatnfast »

Hi Tango,
One thing to look out for on the RT is a slipping clutch. Although not difficult, it's a lot of work to replace it and if you have to pay someone else to do the job, it's going to be a few hundred quid plus parts. Easy to check for by having it in a higher than needed gear and cracking the throttle open.
Check for oil leaks from the final drive as well. Rock the rear wheel to check for bearing and paralever bearing play. The rubber gaiter between the final drive and swing arm is secured with a couple of large jubilee type clips. If possible undo one and peel back the gaiter (very easy to do). You are looking for any oil to dribble out which could be the FD input seal or a leaking rear gearbox seal. All fixable, but good haggling points.
Service parts are cheap and plentiful. It will feel old fashioned compared to the latest machines and does take a decent ride to start appreciating it's quality's and character. But it will still do almost everything the latest models can do but at a fraction of the cost.
Last edited by fatnfast on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

well after much uming and rrrring, and searching adds etc. etc., I have finally purchased an R80 GS. Thought why have another RT, and the older GS bikes appear to be appreciating quite quickly. Not in the greatest of condition, but complete and original and running just fine.
No intention to restore it, just a clean and tlc job plus normal maintenance and enjoy it at the weekends on the road.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Give us a pic as some had drive shaft issues.  Can't remember what year they were but I would know if I saw one.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Drive shaft, and general pic 1994 originally from Park Lane been in storage for over 10 years
Attachments
$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (4).JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Seem to recall the front uj on the drive shaft can be a little short lived due to the steeper angle it sits at.  Wouldn't loose any sleep,over it though.  Looks nice.