Crud Catcher

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
SwartGevaar

Crud Catcher

Post by SwartGevaar »

I recently received one of these as a gift: http://www.nippynormans.com/camping-travel/cymarc-crud-catcher-r1200rt-lc-2014-on

Whilst obviously grateful for the sentiment I'm not 100% sure what the practical benefit of it is!

Anyone use this (or similar),is it actually of any real use?
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Crud Catcher

Post by Sullivj »

I suppose it will keep some dirt off the link pipe (and make it harder to clean).

But wow - it is REALLY ugly... Looks better suited to a GS in my humble opinion.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sullivj wrote: But wow - it is REALLY ugly... Looks better suited to a GS in my humble opinion.

I wouldn't even put it on a GS!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your not wrong.  And what has always concerned me that behind that front engine plate is a clutch.  Whatever cooling it used to get before the thing was fitted, it won't get it any more.  I have only the Pyramid extender fender fitted and the engine stays clean(ish).
wethead

Post by wethead »

RTman10 wrote: Your not wrong.  And what has always concerned me that behind that front engine plate is a clutch.  Whatever cooling it used to get before the thing was fitted, it won't get it any more.  I have only the Pyramid extender fender fitted and the engine stays clean(ish).

[size=2px]Through out the years of touring I have become more and more conscious of aerodynamics.[/size]

I am with the you on concern for the loss of cooling airflow. I am also concerned about the amount of air this plate would catch and how it would effect aerodynamics related to handling.

The 'off-crud' is desirable for sure.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I would think a front Fender Extender would keep most of the crap off the front of the engine (does for me anyway), and the stuff that does get past is easier to clean off than if that Crud Catcher were attached.
2016 San Marino Blue
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I have the Avant extender and a crud catcher.  The crud catcher still gets covered in road spray and debris which would otherwise be all over the front of the engine. So I think it does offer some extra protection.
R1250RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yep ugly as sin - each to their own though
wethead

Post by wethead »

For me, I ll opt for a farkle that may be ugly but functional, over one that is aesthetic-cute but useless.

I don't really care what the bike 'LOOKS' like to anyone including me. If the gadget works, I am likely to use it. My bike is usually filthy and running well. Presently, the front of it looks like a bug burial ground. I wish I could get one of those 'shields' they use in Star Wars and Startrack but instead, to ward-off bugs when I am on the road. I would buy that!

I would like to find an extension for the inner rear fender to keep crud from going into the rear shock and all that area in there--which is a pain in the rear to clean.

If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Like I said, personal choice. Crack on  :)  probably don't have as many bugs in Europe, and yours are obviously bigger
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

wethead wrote:
I would like to find an extension for the inner rear fender to keep crud from going into the rear shock and all that area in there--which is a pain in the rear to clean.

I thought you said you leave your bike dirty?

:alas:
wethead

Post by wethead »

dirt is an unwelcome guest on my bike
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

My RT LC has a fenda extenda and a crud catcher and I still occasionally hear stones hitting the crud catcher, which implies the stones would hit the engine casing without it. Having seen the corrosion that grows once the engine paint is breached I'll put up with the looks in favour of the protection!
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

slparry wrote: My RT LC has a fenda extenda and a crud catcher and I still occasionally hear stones hitting the crud catcher, which implies the stones would hit the engine casing without it. Having seen the corrosion that grows once the engine paint is breached I'll put up with the looks in favour of the protection!

You must have really good hearing, riding with a helmet on and engine noise, yet you hear stones hit the crud catcher, wow! Are you doing some Welsh off roading  8)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I've fitted the same Cymarc plate, but slightly chopped on the bottom edge thus allowing me to fit a Wunderlich bash plate too.

Yes I know it's down to personal choice and yes, I've also fitted a fender extender, but as previously stated, there are dings from stones that they've protected the casing paintwork.

Also, cooling isn't an issue either, sufficient space for airflow onto the cover.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !