weatherproof radio.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Norfolk Eric

weatherproof radio.

Post by Norfolk Eric »

Thanks for the add.
I have a question, I would like to add a radio that will interface with my Autocom. Has anyone used a weatherproof radio that I could mount on my sat nav mount above the instrument cluster? TIA.
2012 R1200RT SE
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: weatherproof radio.

Post by beemerboy9 »

There are not many radios with a 3.5mm output.

I have a Pure Highway connected to my Autocom, but both are mounted under the seat of my scooter. I would certainly try a Pure Highway behind the screen of an RT or, as I did once, mounted in a tankbag.

You could use the the internet radio on an smartphone.
John Bentall
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I have had another look at radios.

I think the AutoDAB GO might be the answer. I know it's not weatherproof but you should be OK with the protection of an RT screen.

I don't think the supplied aerial would work but you could use a stick aerial with a magnetic base.

DAB aerials need a groundplane to simulate the expanse of metal on a car roof/bodywork. I have managed to get the same effect using kitchen foil stuck to the underneath of the lid of the top-box.

All this stuff is sold by dabonwheels 

Last edited by beemerboy9 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

PURE Move 2500, 3.5mm jack to the Autocom and powered off the bike. Not waterproof but haven't had any problems whilst riding, I remove it from the holder whilst washing the bike or when parked up (along with the SatNav!)

ImageRe: weatherproof radio.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

7vwh wrote: PURE Move 2500, 3.5mm jack to the Autocom and powered off the bike. Not waterproof but haven't had any problems whilst riding, I remove it from the holder whilst washing the bike or when parked up (along with the SatNav!)

I knew that I had seen that neat solution before, but I could not remember where!

As you will have noticed, I have gone for solutions using a proper stick aerial and a "groundplane" to get optimum DAB reception on a bike (which some have reckoned is impossible).

I would be interested to know how you find DAB reception on the bike or do you listen to the Pure 2500 in FM mode? Can you use the DAB function in poor reception area in the countryside?

I have a 1200RT with the built-in audio, so I have installed a DAB radio where I can change stations using the control wheel.
John Bentall
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I use the DAB mode and haven't had much of an issue with reception problems, it drops out in the same places as the factory DAB radio in the car.
Norfolk Eric

Post by Norfolk Eric »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I have taken Beemerboy9's suggestion of the phone radio, connected it to an input of the Autocom via an isolator, tuned in the radio and hey presto good solid FM signal, tried with bike running and cannot hear any interference.  Ran the google maps sat-nav and when the SN makes an announcement the radio is automatically muted.  All good so far.  I need to try the google sat nav whilst driving in the car to compare, not sure how good it is.  One problem I can envisage is that I often make up routes using TYRE and then download to my current Tom Tom Rider, I'm not sure if Google maps will allow this.  I also need to find a waterproof case that allows the side buttons to be operated to adjust the volume.  All good fun.
2012 R1200RT SE
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Norfolk Eric wrote:   I also need to find a waterproof case that allows the side buttons to be operated to adjust the volume.  All good fun.

Other have used an external remote control to change stations/volume.
John Bentall
Norfolk Eric

Post by Norfolk Eric »

Thanks Beemerboy9. I have trawled the internet and I cannot find such a device, do you have anymore information?  TIA.
2012 R1200RT SE
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Norfolk Eric wrote: Thanks Beemerboy9. I have trawled the internet and I cannot find such a device, do you have anymore information?  TIA.

Hi,

Something from here maybe - hope this helps.

John
John Bentall