Proper bike mounting technique

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Proper bike mounting technique

Post by timminator »

I learned something new today, it may be old news to many of you, but thought I would share anyway.

How many of you have dragged your boot heel across the top of the pannier and scuffed it while mounting your RT?  A friend told me I should try mounting the bike by grabbing handlebars, standing (left foot) on the foot peg, and then swinging my right leg over.  That gives you a lot of additional height and you'll never hit the pannier again.  It is especially helpful if you have shorter legs.

This technique works whether the bike is on the service stand or the side stand.  I was a reluctant for fear of tipping the bike over, but it worked perfectly! Apparently the side stand is *plenty* strong enough to hold the bike and the weight of the average rider.

Give it a try if you like, and see if it works for you.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Re: Proper bike mounting technique

Post by guest2360 »

Since I got old I do the same. Don't seen to need to getting off. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Having got used to this in order to get your foot over the hump on the RT-P I know do it all the time  :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Good call
Most of or police officers are taught to get on from right side also to avoid more exposure to traffic(right side driving)
I practice all three methods, depending on which knee hurts worse
Jim
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

That puts a lot of force through the bolt that holds the centre stand on.

It's probably alright for the slimmer ones but for some of us, I'm not so sure it's a good idea...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not the centre stand, the side one.  As long as it's not at 45% in a gutter of course. Bike never moves, Fingers on brake lever of course.

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:

Not the centre stand, the side one.  As long as it's not at 45% in a gutter of course. Bike never moves, Fingers on brake lever of course.

You're right, I meant the side stand bolt.

I hope they're not made by the guys who made the original rear suspension bolts...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon that once you start to go over the seat most of the weight will be through the wheels which  is probably why it doesn't feel your putting all your weight on the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I mount the same way except from the right with right leg on the peg. Always have and always will.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I mount the same way except from the right with right leg on the peg. Always have and always will.

Presumably with the bike on the centre stand?
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote: That puts a lot of force through the bolt that holds the centre stand on.

It's probably alright for the slimmer ones but for some of us, I'm not so sure it's a good idea...

I'm guessing the shear strength of that bolt is at least double the weight of the bike, and probably more.  My bigger concern would be making sure the bike doesn't move (hands on brakes or leave in 1st gear).
BMW MOA #210438
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

Motor officer I know used to do this.  Until the day that his side stand broke as he mounted, dumping him on the ground.  The center stand is built for this.  The side stand is not. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

beemer dood wrote: Motor officer I know used to do this.  Until the day that his side stand broke as he mounted, dumping him on the ground.  The center stand is built for this.  The side stand is not.

That's what I'd be afraid of.  It's a good idea, right up until the day that it isn't!

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, can't help thinking that the sidestand bolt is not designed for any such sudden concentrated and repeated increase in load (ie rider's weight). It would be interesting to hear BMWs (not the average dealership mind you!) slant on this point.....
timminator

Post by timminator »

You guys may be right, I guess there's no way to know for sure without asking the manufacturer.  One thing I considered was the maximum payload of the bike.  The specifications for the 2016 model are:

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 604 lbs (274 kg)
Permitted total weight                                 1,091 lbs (495 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment)         487 lbs (221 kg)

So I'm assuming it is plenty strong enough to hold up to 1091lbs.  If your bike is not loaded, and you weigh less than 487lbs, it should be ok.  If you have 300lbs of pillion and bags on the bike, you are probably pushing it.  (Not that the pillion would be mounted first anyway).
BMW MOA #210438