2015 BMW R1200RT Just how weather proof?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bruce

2015 BMW R1200RT Just how weather proof?

Post by Bruce »

Bought an end of year 2015 R1200RT last summer with pretty much all available options. Haven't had a bike for over 30 years. So far love it. My question is just how weather proof are these bikes? Mine was caught out in the open in a parking lot in an absolute cloudburst with no protection or cover what so ever. I mean it makes complete sense that this should be no problem but, need I be concerned about electronics, speakers, wiring system etc. with the bike being exposed like this. GPS unit and both panniers were inside at the time.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

B. Taylor
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 2015 BMW R1200RT Just how weather proof?

Post by T6pilot »

Right after purchasing my 15
I got the pleasure of riding in heavy rain+ for 8 hours, upon reaching my destination noticed bike was locking and unlocking side cases and storage without any input on my part
Arming the alarm stopped the problem
Suspect a defective right cluster failure, has never done it again
Nor did it show up on computer check by dealer
I was asked if it ever did it again to try and video it, fast forward a year no issues
Been in several downpours since
If I park the bike, and am expecting rain, my Nelson/rigg cover goes on
Jim
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a 2014 and ride all year round. We have quite a lot of rain in the UK, I have found no issues with anything not working
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Panniers never leak and except for some problems with switchgear neither does anything else.  I did once have the gear indicator vanish on the dash for about 10 minutes but that was 2 years ago and it's never happened again.  Mine has just spent a week parked out in Orkney and on Orkney when it rained you know about.  There were 14 other bikes with me RTs and GSs.  Not one of them had any issues with constant rain. 
Got a bit of scrubbing to do now though.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I've had problems in downpours with the OEM additional driving lights.

The first time I had to have a new switch (there's a surprise!).  The second time, the lights themselves had to be replaced.

Oh - and the design of the bike means that in really heavy rain, the back of your boots/trousers get REALLY wet.  Unless you fit that kit that makes your bike look like a scooter...
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the responses. Oddly enough the bike was at the dealer having a seat heater issue fixed when the downpour occurred. My bike along with approximately 100 other bikes were caught outside with no protection. So far no issue have popped up as of yet.

I'm 6'4" with a 35 inch inseam. When I bought the bike last summer there were no more orders being taken as it was end of year, so I had to settle with the normal height seat. The dealer recommended a Custom upholstery shop in town to build up the seat height. I had it raised about 2 inches and when I got home I noticed that neither seat heater worked. Using a DMM with the bike running, I checked continuity through the heating elements and switch gear and measured the voltage  getting to each seat. All seemed normal but still no heat. I took it to the dealer and their computer showed no problems, but they were still not able to get the seats to heat even when they switched to a known good seat.

Then we discovered:
Boost Function: when the seat heating is switched on to the highest level, the Boost Function starts (only with the ambient temp. below 63 degrees F. and 1500 RPM) 100% of the heat output is made available for 3 mins.

Protection Function: The Boost Function switches off automatically after 3 minutes and cannot be re activated for 30 minutes. If the seat heating is switched off during the Boost Function, the Boost Function cannot be re activated for 30 minutes, even if it was previously active for only a short time. This also applies when the seat heating is switched OFF when the ignition is switched OFF then ON and the seat heating is again switched ON.

You guys may already be aware of this but even my dealer was a bit baffled for quite sometime trying to sort it out.