TPS Battery

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

TPS Battery

Post by Our Gee »

Does anyone please know what is the expected "Tyre Pressure Sensor" battery life.
Thank's. (R1200RT Twin Cam)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: TPS Battery

Post by T6pilot »

On the ADVRIDER forum I think they indicated 4-5 years, there is even pictures posted of someone who removed the old batteries from the unit and installed new ones
TPMS units are in the $130 price range each, while new batteries are $8 for four,
Guy used a Modelers knife to carve out old batteries, installed two new ones in each unit, then sealed the unit with silicone,
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ditch the TPS & replace with conventional tyre valves for a fraction of the cost.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: Ditch the TPS & replace with conventional tyre valves for a fraction of the cost.

I was thinking the same.  [size=2px]When mine finally die, I think I would be tempted to just leave them alone and use an old-fashioned tire pressure gauge.  I just don't want an annoying fault message on the display for the rest of all time.[/size]
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

My riding buddy recently picked up a new 16RT, riding it home from the dealer at 70mph he got the dreaded yellow triangle. By the time he got the bike to the shoulder of the road yellow had turned to red. A piece of construction steel had pierced the brand new rear PR4GT, he did not feel any difference in riding quality of bike until almost stopped. He's now a total believer in the TPMS system
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having experienced a couple of rear punctures without TPS, the feeling on the bike was that something wasn't right, therefore pulled over & checked the tyre.
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

Our Gee wrote: Does anyone please know what is the expected "Tyre Pressure Sensor" battery life.
Thank's. (R1200RT Twin Cam)

Just to provide an answer to the question: see generally, http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?25336-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-Battery
John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: My riding buddy recently picked up a new 16RT, riding it home from the dealer at 70mph he got the dreaded yellow triangle. By the time he got the bike to the shoulder of the road yellow had turned to red. A piece of construction steel had pierced the brand new rear PR4GT, he did not feel any difference in riding quality of bike until almost stopped. He's now a total believer in the TPMS system

I had a similar experience, got the triangle before I noticed anything wrong. I'm sold on it, love the gadget. Its like all gadgets, we have all done without but if you have it, use it. Had many a discussion about ABS, again if its available I would rather have it than not, even though I have ridden 40+ years without such luxuries
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Forgot to add, had the tyre replaced and it was balanced with no issues and I still have TPS
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:When mine finally die, I think I would be tempted to just leave them alone and use an old-fashioned tire pressure gauge. I just don't want an annoying fault message on the display for the rest of all time.
If the TPS is defective (flat battery) or there is a system error, the general warning light shows yellow.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: If the TPS is defective (flat battery) or there is a system error, the general warning light shows yellow.
And  I suspect if you take them out that warning light will be there forever.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Having had the unnerving experience of front tyre puncture, I think TPS is a lifesaver. Better to let the bike tell you that you have a slow leak rather than lose handling and control. Is your life and family worth more than a few quid for TPS?