Rear caliper mounting bolt

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chrismckay

Rear caliper mounting bolt

Post by chrismckay »

Hello Guys,

I am ordering from Pro-Bolt a selection of stainless steel fasteners.

I am looking for the dimensions of the rear brake caliper mounting bolts on a 2012 R1200RT

From what I can see via the parts fiche it is a M8x25......but it has a trapezodial thread.....what is that? or am I reading wrong?

Chris ;D
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear caliper mounting bolt

Post by Our Gee »

Trapezodial thread is used in high load situations. The thread top and bottom are squared off and the side wall is usually at a steeper angle. Personally I would mess with brake components that have been designed and specified for that particular application such as good "shear" properties required by brake calipers.
chrismckay

Re: Rear caliper mounting bolt

Post by chrismckay »

Our Gee wrote: Trapezodial thread is used in high load situations. The thread top and bottom are squared off and the side wall is usually at a steeper angle. Personally I would mess with brake components that have been designed and specified for that particular application such as good "shear" properties required by brake calipers.

Thanks Gee,

The grade of stainless that Pro-bolt use is strong enough for brake situations, however i will give it a pass if its a fancy thread, its fancy for a reason I imagine!!

Chris