Hybrid solution - Autocom experts, would this work?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Hybrid solution - Autocom experts, would this work?

Post by timminator »

Currently have Scala Rider Q3 bluetooth kit and factory Alpine radio in 2016 RT.  Everything, including Nav V, Phone, Radio is paired via bluetooth.  I am satisfied overall with the setup, and it works reliable other than these 2 issues:

Audio quality of the music is poor.
Cannot use wonder-wheel to control volume.

I am hoping to continue using my Scala BT kit, but also want the advantage of wired audio quality.  The Scala system can connect to an external music source using a supplied wired dongle.  It connects directly into the BT piece and terminates with a 3.5mm jack (see picture).

Is there any reason I could not simply purchase the 2273 or 2275 music lead from Autocom, then use a female-to-female adaptor to connect to my Scala Q3?  It seems like the autocom hub wouldn't be necessary, and would save me the trouble and expense of buying the hub and replacing the speakers/mic in my helmet.  The Scala already has noise filtering and automatic volume adjustments, so I don't need that functionality.

I recognize this isn't a perfect solution, but trying to figure a way to salvage the investment I've already made in BT and still get the quality and control you get with a wired solution.
Attachments
2016-07-20 17.14.11.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
STeinar

Re: Hybrid solution - Autocom experts, would this work?

Post by STeinar »

Yes it will work :-)

But what about a Bluetooth module connected into the speaker-cables so you could connect two Bluetooth headsets into it (the Bluetooth dongle) and use your wonder-wheel to control volume :-)

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The only problem I would see is that your pillion would get nothing from the audio unit as you have to switch off BT .  Then again unless she is getting it relayed from your headset there is no connection now. Also the 2273 or 5 are not tidy cables with 4 leads at one end and I can't remember when it goes down to just one.  Probably a couple of inches from your helmet.
timminator

Post by timminator »

STeinar wrote: Yes it will work :-)

But what about a Bluetooth module connected into the speaker-cables so you could connect two Bluetooth headsets into it (the Bluetooth dongle) and use your wonder-wheel to control volume :-)

That's an interesting idea, didn't realize that solution existed.  You must be using the AKE system?
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: The only problem I would see is that your pillion would get nothing from the audio unit as you have to switch off BT .  Then again unless she is getting it relayed from your headset there is no connection now. Also the 2273 or 5 are not tidy cables with 4 leads at one end and I can't remember when it goes down to just one.  Probably a couple of inches from your helmet.

My intent would be to bundle up all those wires beneath the seat and only expose the 3.5mm female jack.  Then the extension cable from my BT kit would reach down and connect to it.
Attachments
2273.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

timminator wrote:
My intent would be to bundle up all those wires beneath the seat and only expose the 3.5mm female jack.  Then the extension cable from my BT kit would reach down and connect to it.

That is what I would have done :-)
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

timminator wrote:
That's an interesting idea, didn't realize that solution existed.  You must be using the AKE system?

No - I'm building a inexpensive prototype for this solution - more about this later  on ...
timminator

Post by timminator »

STeinar wrote:
No - I'm building a inexpensive prototype for this solution - more about this later  on ...

Awesome.  Anxious to see what you come up with.
BMW MOA #210438
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

There is a step-down element in the Autocom leads that reduces the power from, say, the 10W per channel of the speakers to suitable amount for the 3.5mm stereo jack input to the hub. The placement of the BT elements would have to take account of this.
Not a problem for someone of STeinar's caliber I dare say ^-^ .

The other point is that your machine seems terribly prone to interference to the BT signal, and we suspect that you are not alone. Perhaps for the sake of your sanity, you should try your proposed, inexpensive wired solution first.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
timminator

Post by timminator »

beemerboy9 wrote: There is a step-down element in the Autocom leads that reduces the power from, say, the 10W per channel of the speakers to suitable amount for the 3.5mm stereo jack input to the hub. The placement of the BT elements would have to take account of this.
Not a problem for someone of STeinar's caliber I dare say ^-^ .

The other point is that your machine seems terribly prone to interference to the BT signal, and we suspect that you are not alone. Perhaps for the sake of your sanity, you should try your proposed, inexpensive wired solution first.

Ordering the 2273 lead today, will update the post with the results once it's all buttoned up.
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Installation was a success.  Used posi-tap connectors to tap into speaker wires, coiled the spare wire under the seat, and used a male-to-male adaptor to connect the 2273 harness to my BT headset.

Lessons learned:
1. Left speaker wires are yellow (red stripe on positive)
2. Right speaker wires are blue (red stripe on positive)
3. Since both the alpine audio system and the BT piece attempt to amplify the signal, there's a bit of a balancing act to get the volume set correctly without introducing distortion.  I've found that I can't go up beyond about 30% on the wonder-wheel.  It's plenty loud because the BT piece is amplifying it above and beyond that.  I can see why the hub and non-amplified speakers from a full autocom setup would be better.
4. The BT features continue to work fine.  A phone call or intercom message still overrides the music.

Attaching some photos from the installation.
Attachments
2016-07-31 16.56.46.jpg
2016-07-31 16.56.33.jpg
2016-07-31 16.56.19.jpg
2016-07-31 16.54.05.jpg
2016-07-31 12.33.24.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Post by blastfurnace »

Do you think something like this would work instead of the [size=14px]2273?[/size]

https://www.rocketmoto.com/motochello-a ... ker-bridge

This will switch any and all audio from speaker to headset.  That should work, right?

timminator

Post by timminator »

blastfurnace wrote: Do you think something like this would work instead of the 2273?[/font][/size]

https://www.rocketmoto.com/motochello-audio-speaker-bridge

This will switch any and all audio from speaker to headset.  That should work, right?
I don't have any personal experience with this kit, but it appears it would work.  Especially since they call out the Autocomm 2273 unit directly, it must provide the same functionality. 

I can tell you, after months and months of fiddling with different audio solutions, I finally just reverted back to the builtin BT that comes with the factory Alpine radio.  It isn't great, but once you reach 30mph, nothing is going to sound great in a helmet.  The USB stick sounds the best out of all the audio options.  The FM radio has lousy reception and the Sirius cuts out too much to make it worth the money, IMHO.

The only solution I've personally experienced that provides really good sound is using a wired solution with Bose QC20 noise cancelling earbuds ($250). But I hate being wired into the bike, so that's why I went back to BT.
BMW MOA #210438
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Slightly off topic but perhaps relevant...

When I had my GS (so up to December last year) I used a wired intercom. I always used in-ear monitors, although at that point I was using the ~£40 ones that Autocom supply. When I switched to the RT I moved to using a BT headset (Scala Q3) but still with in-ear monitors. However, by this point I had decided to buy some custom-moulded in-ear monitors. I bought these from Ultimate Ear but, rather than going for the standard single-driver version made specifically for motorbikes, I went for the twin-driver version made for stage musicians. It wasn't a cheap option but I spend a lot of time on the bike - and I got to claim the cost back as a work expense.

The upshot of this is, I have no problem at all with the audio quality coming from the bike via BT. It's not perfect of course, but it's satisfactory and speed makes very little difference (the Q3 bumps the audio up automatically at about 60mph based on background noise). It's definitely better than the wired system with the cheap monitors, although probably not better than a wired system with the expensive monitors.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X