General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Tone

Post by Tone »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum also BMW! I've been riding bikes since 17, apart for a 4year gap for babies. Mostly I've had and still have old Brit iron. It's only the last couple of years that I've had " modern" bikes to go touring on. Just got back from France and Spain, on a 650 v Strom, which copped quite well, the worst thing about it was the width of the panniers, they are huge, sticking out by about 6" on the left side and about 10"" on the right from the handlebars, a bit hairy with the barriers over the Pyrenees ! What I was wondering was, how much wider are the panniers on a r1000rs in relation to the handlebars ? Also what's it like moving them around the garage etc ? are they top heavy? Also my inside leg is about 30" with boots on, will the seat height be ok? Sorry to woffle on, but I've read some good reviews on these bikes and I find its best to take to those that know, cheers and thanks in anticipation, Tone.
guest3074

Re: Newbie

Post by guest3074 »

Tone wrote: how much wider are the panniers on a r1000rs in relation to the handlebars
Is that a typo or are you really asking about the RS, only this is the RT forum  ;)

One thing about the RT is that the rear with panniers on is not much wider than the front, so if the front fits through there's a good chance the rear will  :)

I did once on a VFR800 forget how wide the rear was and remove part of my pannier on a tree  :o
Tone

Post by Tone »

Oops Typo, Sorry about that. Thats great, I was hoping for that answer, thanks. Just the question of the dead weight.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You could always try a BMW dealer
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So it's the RT you are thinking about.  Don't know if you have visited any dealer yet but forgetting the width the RT is a big bike compared to a V Strom weighing 275kg fueled.  Benchmark is correct though, if the front goes through the Resr just follows. They are not top heavy though.  But at the end of the day go look and try.
Tone

Post by Tone »

Will do, thanks again.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello Tone and welcome to the forum. Once you get astride an RT LC and give it a long demo ride, you'll be hooked. I find mine such a comfortable tourer to ride long distance. Love it! :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Tone wrote: a 650 v Strom, which copped quite well, the worst thing about it was the width of the panniers, they are huge, sticking out by about 6" on the left side and about 10"" on the right from the handlebars,

are you sure you've got them fitted right??

:alas: :alas: