Ground Anchor

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Ground Anchor

Post by Casbar »

I have a ground anchor and a big chain in my garage. Used to lock the Harley by putting the chain over the engine and under the frame. Now I can't see how to secure an RT to the ground, unless you put the chain around the front forks. Saw someone put a chain through the rear spindle, but mine is too big for that. So how (if you do) do you secure an RT  :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Ground Anchor

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: I have a ground anchor and a big chain in my garage. Used to lock the Harley by putting the chain over the engine and under the frame. Now I can't see how to secure an RT to the ground, unless you put the chain around the front forks. Saw someone put a chain through the rear spindle, but mine is too big for that. So how (if you do) do you secure an RT  :)

I never heard of an RT getting nicked, so I don't bother. 

Mind you, I didn't bother with my Multistrada either!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have, I had an 1100 75th Anniversary one and a year after I sold it it was marked up by BMW as stolen.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

RTman10 wrote: I have, I had an 1100 75th Anniversary one and a year after I sold it it was marked up by BMW as stolen.
Me too, a few years ago I had a previous RT stolen from a bike parking bay in central London.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On my previous 09 I was able to fit an Abus  U lock through the hole in the rear drive. It was only just possible to get the lock on the end and would have been nearly impossible to get it off without the key.  It was possible to feed a chain through the loop though so would make a good place to connect your ground anchor chain to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks, good idea, I have a U lock.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote: I have a ground anchor and a big chain in my garage. Used to lock the Harley by putting the chain over the engine and under the frame. Now I can't see how to secure an RT to the ground, unless you put the chain around the front forks. Saw someone put a chain through the rear spindle, but mine is too big for that. So how (if you do) do you secure an RT  :)
I can't help thinking that given the awkwardness factor in securing the RT to your garage ground anchor, you'd be much better off investing in better garage door security....?? Just a thought..... :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Or even extending any house alarm system into the garage. Since I did that it's gone off twice.  Bloody cat.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: I can't help thinking that given the awkwardness factor in securing the RT to your garage ground anchor, you'd be much better off investing in better garage door security....?? Just a thought..... :)

My garage security is fine, secure roller door, upvc doors and windows and alarmed. Just had a ground anchor for the Harley, as it was a 16k bike and insurance demanded it
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Casbar,

A few years back I bought one of these for the GT:  http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Easy to use, but you need the precise padlock to fit in the rebate (a Squire I think).  Doesn't solve what to do when touring though because the chain pin and lock weigh a ton.  Tend to use a lighter chain for that, but that's not much more than a visual deterrent.  I'm just a bit choosy about where I park it.  The new RT's all datatagged anyway.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Hi Casbar,

A few years back I bought one of these for the GT:  http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Easy to use, but you need the precise padlock to fit in the rebate (a Squire I think).  Doesn't solve what to do when touring though because the chain pin and lock weigh a ton.  Tend to use a lighter chain for that, but that's not much more than a visual deterrent.  I'm just a bit choosy about where I park it.  The new RT's all datatagged anyway.

Thanks for that, and I think I already have the correct pad lock, which would be a plus