New to the forum....hello!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gadelson

New to the forum....hello!

Post by Gadelson »

Hi gang!

I've been a Harley rider for 40 years 'cause I like the low seat height (and the roar),but now I live in the hills of West Vancouver BC and there's a LOT of twisties! So I'm considering a bike with a better lean angle and am considering the Ducati XDiavel because it has a 40 degree lean angle while maintaining a low seat height. But I'm leaning towards the R1200RT. The challenge I'm having is the height of the BMW makes me feel less confident riding in stop & go city traffic. Am I alone in that concern and just being a wuss?

Cheers!
falconmick

Re: New to the forum....hello!

Post by falconmick »

Welcome to the forum, I am 28 inside leg (inseam), have standard suspension with the lower seat option and have no problems.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome.  Get yourself to your nearest dealer and jump on one. just be aware the latest LC which came out in 2014 is lower than the previous models.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Welcome. I have a 2016 RT with low seat and a 29 inches inseam. No problems controlling this wonder.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I am also a life long HD rider. Went to a 2016 RT and never looked back. I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and have no issues. It is so light you won't have any problems.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Don't forget that the standard seat has a low position!
I'm a bit challenged in the inside leg department but can plant both feet on my LC.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

28 inch inside leg, seat on low position, no issues flat footing the bike. Also long term Harley owner or was, sold it after buying the RT.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Just went from a huge HD Road Glide CVO to a 2016 RT for pretty much the same reasons as you. I'm just under 5'8" and initially bought the RT with the low seat option and could flat foot the bike with no problem. But the bike is so light compared to the HD that it feels like a scooter. So I swapped out the low seat for the standard to get a little more padding and run it on the low position and I can almost flat foot it with no issues. But even when I am up on the balls of my feet it feels fine due to the decreased weight. I've had no problems and no feels of lost confidence so far going from the HD to the RT. And the RT is just so much more fun to ride. Go test ride one with a low seat and make sure it's in the low position (there are two positions for each seat size). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Gadelson

Post by Gadelson »

Thanks for the input everyone!