It's here, with an unexpected gift

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: It's here, with an unexpected gift

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Apparently if you have your tyres repaired, they no longer have a z rating. No worries then, as I don't know of an RT that can do 150  :)

If there is one, I bet it's Callisto Grey...

:alas: :alas: :alas:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
If there is one, I bet it's Callisto Grey...

:alas: :alas: :alas:

No I've a Quartz Blue bike which everyone knows is the fastest, and it doesn't do 150  8)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have had two rear wheel punctures on RT's, the last one about three years ago was on a Dunlop Roadsmart which had less than 100 miles on and occured a week before a long trip down to Provence. Luckily the offending "joinery staple" had penetrated right in the centre of the tread pattern. I rang my tyre man at Automoto in Bellerby to ask if it could be repaired and he said he would have to inspect the tyre with it off the wheel. This was done as I watched and a repair was effected from the inside, not from the outside as is the case with the "get you home" plug method. That tyre went on to do about 6000 miles of mixed riding, sometimes two up and with full panniers and top case.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Thank you, so to clarify and quote, 'it is recommendation only and not the law'. Thanks for clarifying.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
No I've a Quartz Blue bike...and it doesn't do 150  8)

Clearly not the fastest colour then...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thank you, so to clarify and quote, 'it is recommendation only and not the law'. Thanks for clarify

So do they recommend no repairs just for fun or could there just be a reason.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Thank you, so to clarify and quote, 'it is recommendation only and not the law'. Thanks for clarify

So do they recommend no repairs just for fun or could there just be a reason.

The reason is the glue they use is not rated to over 150 mph. But not an issue for us  :) . Found that snippet on the net, so not expert testimony
SquamishRT

Post by SquamishRT »

:clap: I got almost exactly the same gift, 100 km home  with the new bike and the next morning a flat front tire. No question, I plugged the tire for a careful ride back to the dealer and bought a new tire. The 1 in whatever chance that a plug will fail at speed scares this old guy.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Totally agree.  For the price of a tyre it's not worth the risk.  And we all know thousands have done thousands with multiple plugs, half price brake pads and the wrong grade of oil to save a few pennies. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Totally agree.  For the price of a tyre it's not worth the risk.  And we all know thousands have done thousands with multiple plugs, half price brake pads and the wrong grade of oil to save a few pennies.

I would rather have a new tyre, no question, but I guess for some they can't afford a new tyre every time they have a puncture. Just because you ride an expensive bike, it doesn't follow that you have loads of dosh to throw around.

I had a puncture on the front of my car this week, £18 to fix or £150 for a new tyre, £18 won over. Now I know a bike is different, but if repairs are sanctioned by the manufacturers, then don't really see the problem
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Well, I went the new tyre option.  The tyre supplier I use (Micheldever) would not repair a Z rated tyre.  As mentioned above, it could lead to a difficult insurance discussion if the worst happened at some point.  So, swallow hard, I paid the man £124 and got a new Metzeler Z8.  What a brilliant bike though (now that I can actually ride it).  Thanks guys.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Well, I went the new tyre option.  The tyre supplier I use (Micheldever) would not repair a Z rated tyre.  As mentioned above, it could lead to a difficult insurance discussion if the worst happened at some point.  So, swallow hard, I paid the man £124 and got a new Metzeler Z8.  What a brilliant bike though (now that I can actually ride it).  Thanks guys.

Did the bike have Metzlers on it then, or have you put a different tyre on? I live in Salisbury when I had a blow out, I was near Basingstoke, had two holes, so got BMW rescue to take me to Barnstormer. They did a good job, charged me £140 fitted for a rear PR4GT, but they did stay open to get me back on the road on a Saturday, so didn't mind
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The bike came on Metzelers but I like PR4s though and had them on my old GT.  Metzelers are still a bit of an unknown, but they are just about scrubbed in now and feel fine in the dry, wet experimentation to follow.  The RT leans well!  The Z8s seem to tramline a bit on road markings and overbanding, but that might be me noticing more on a new bike.  I thought about calling BMW breakdown, but in the end it seemed quicker and easier to whip the wheel out (crucial new-bike bonding time) and drive it up to Micheldever as I'm just north of Southampton.