Vibration in 5th?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Yellowledbetter

Vibration in 5th?

Post by Yellowledbetter »

Hey folks - I have about 2500 miles on my 2016 RT and have noticed something that is quite different from my 2007 RT, which has 112,000 miles on it (all mine).  It seems on the new RT that there is a discernible knocking type vibration that is felt in the handle bars in 5th gear at about 4,000 RPM.  There is the general subtle vibration in all the gears, but in 5th at cruising speeds a different, subtle knocking vibration breaks through it and is a little annoying.  It feels like someone is tapping/rasping their fingers on a desk in repeating fashion.  Subtle but annoyingly noticeable.  Has anyone else noticed this at all with their 2014-2016 RT?

Thanks.
guest2360

Re: Vibration in 5th?

Post by guest2360 »

With 10 times the mileage on you old one it's sure to be less viby.  Mine sometimes seems to get that way depending on temperatures or speed.  At 2500 miles it's not nearly run in so just knock it into 6th.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I haven't noticed this on mine, but it only has 5k on the clock. I do get a bit of numb fingers if I grip the bars too tightly  :)
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I think that in terms of mechanical clatter they have got progressively worse from the SOHC through the DOHC to the LC, great when being worked hard but on overrun or tick-over it's like a bucket of spanners.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blokeonthemove wrote: I think that in terms of mechanical clatter they have got progressively worse from the SOHC through the DOHC to the LC, great when being worked hard but on overrun or tick-over it's like a bucket of spanners.
Try owning a Harley  :)  The Beemer sounds like a rolls royce in comparison
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No clatter from mine. I have owned a total of 8 boxers since 1996 and the LC is the quietest . It ain't silent though.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

16k and I haven't noticed that.
Next time I'm out I'll check.
8)