Windscreen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
blokeonthemove

Re: Windscreen

Post by blokeonthemove »

I do find my new RT more windy than my 1600 GTL and am tempted by a bigger screen whilst being mindful of RTman's comments about fuel consumption with bigger screens on another post. I do remember on a previous K1200GT, a very fast bike,  was more stable at very high speeds with screen fully down. I'm older now and don't seem to go as fast!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Really.  The screen on my GTL seemed to be on the other side of the road it was so far away.  The RT one felt just off my nose until I got used to it.  My solution, decent helmet and plugs and forget about the tinitus. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

When I tested the K1600, it made the back of my neck cold.  Strange wind pattern created by screen.  Adding the top box solved it but I prefer the look without that huge thing on the back - and you know how important looks are to me!

Interestingly, the Trophy has the same problem, yet the RT doesn't - not for me anyway...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It does for me, I noticed with the standard screen the back of my neck gets cold, so I now make sure I have my buff pulled up. But not tempted yet to fit a larger screen.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

That's strange.
I get a cold back of the neck but I thought it was the helmet.
Never considered it being the screen.
I do ride with the top box on all the time.
Did think about removing it when out on my own but I like the high level brake lights
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I ride often without the top box, because I use the bike for Blood Biking. Haven't noticed if I still get a cold neck as its warming up now. I have bought a set of Skene P3 brake lights to fit next to my number plate, so when not using the top box, still have bright brake lights. I had a set of Hyper Lites on a previous bike and they were very bright.
mlillywh

Post by mlillywh »

I've fitted the Puig after market screen - £110 or £130 with the extra deflector - picture http://www.puigusa.com/imagenes/PUIG21655.jpg

I can report the Puig (without deflector) is absolutely spot on - deflects the windstream over my head, and its not quite the maximum setting. I've not even tried the extra deflector.

I'm 6ft6 inside leg 34" and noticed on the test ride and after I bought that there was some buffeting at motorway speeds. With the Puig screen its all gone - in fact you could ride with a open face helmet if you wanted to
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Went for the Werks Quiet Ride. Considerable improvement on BMW screen in every sense. Was undecided between 24 and 26 inch given my height of 6,1.  Based on reviews elsewhere, chose the 24 inch model. More than adequate, seldom raise it more than 2/3, whereas had to have standard screen at max height to less effect.
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

With the stock windscreen, fine rain drops are hitting me in the neck. Would Werks or Puig fix this?
Where can I purchase Puig in USA?
2016 RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With the stock windscreen, fine rain drops are hitting me in the neck. Would Werks or Puig fix this?
Where can I purchase Puig in USA?

Surely that depends where you have the screen height set.  All the way up is going to cause some back draft .  Fit a barn door and you will probably get even more.  Seems to be obligatory for you guys over the pond to look through the screen though.  In the UK next to nobody does so we all have dry necks.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Excessive backdraft comes from a poor design windshield. The WERKS Quiet Ride is designed so you will NEVER need to look through it, I cannot stand to look through a windshield on a bike. There is no windshield made for a bike that keeps the rider dry in the rain. But there are some that allow less under the screen and better control what goes over the screen. Most of all, not looking through a wet windshield is a must, especially at night. One other factor that comes to light is that the design can effect how bugs hit it! Rarely do I get bugs on the backside of the windshield.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So are you saying that the stock BMW screen is badly designed. Some owners believes so are the bars, grips, exhaust, seats, lights.  Makes you wonder how BMW manage to sell any at all.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: So are you saying that the stock BMW screen is badly designed. Some owners believes so are the bars, grips, exhaust, seats, lights.  Makes you wonder how BMW manage to sell any at all.

To be fair, quite a few RTers are not that keen on the stock screen.  I changed mine for the BMW Touring one.  It's a bit taller (though I still look over it) but it's quite a bit wider and I find that much more comfortable in the winter because it keeps the draft off my shoulders.

Screens are almost as personal a choice as helmets - and often need to be tested in combination.  All of my last three bikes I've fitted after-market screens to - and I'm not really much of a fettler...

:thumbs:
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

English is my second language, so please excuse the confusion of what I meant about getting hit in the neck.  When I say neck I mean the Adam’s Apple area, not the back of the neck.  With the windscreen all the way down, up, or where I usually have it at about 60% for minimum noise & buffet and maximum air flow to the helmet vent, I still got hit in the front of the neck.

Sent Puigusa.com an email Friday late and hope to hear from them Monday.  Any ideas on where to purchase a Puig in the USA? 
2016 RT
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Oscar Nelsen wrote: Sent Puigusa.com an email Friday late and hope to hear from them Monday.  Any ideas on where to purchase a Puig in the USA?
On a recent trip to Germany we were lucky and had some hot weather, found that the Puig was too good even in the low position at deflecting the wind and I got rather hot, sold it on my return to the UK and will still with the stock screen  :)