Quiet helmet recommendations?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

Quiet helmet recommendations?

Post by ds99 »

I'm looking for a touring helmet, it must be quiet and comfortable.

I am in the UK

Budget : £400 max

Flip up or normal full-face - no preference

Can anyone recommend any?

I've read this:

https://rideapart.com/articles/5-quiete ... le-helmets

I tried the HJC one but in my size (55-56cm - small) it was not comfortable for my head shape
falconmick

Re: Quiet helmet recommendations?

Post by falconmick »

All helmets vary from person to person, all down to head shape, what is quiet for one is not for another. Have you tried ear plugs? although personally I don't like wearing them.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

yes, i always ride with earplugs

yes, i know it very much comes down to personal preference, i was just wondering what people on here though. i've had my Aria helmet for ten years so it's time to get a new decent one. it's very comfy, but just a bit noisy for motorway speeds.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

I know what you mean, I have tried various makes and find Arai fit best, but not the quietest. Good luck.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW System 6 Evo.  Comfortable , Pinlock  as standard and reasonable quiet.  As others though, I still use ear plugs.And no they are not rebranded Sshuberth helmets. There are no comparable parts.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Shop around and see if you can get a shoei neotec. Quietest helmet I have ever owned!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: BMW System 6 Evo.  Comfortable , Pinlock  as standard and reasonable quiet.  As others though, I still use ear plugs.And no they are not rebranded Sshuberth helmets. There are no comparable parts.

+1 for 6 Evo.  I also have a Schuberth C3.  BMW one is WAY more comfortable - for me...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Got a neotec and just bought a Schuberth C3 Pro, its quieter than the Shoei and I like it a lot  :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

As others have said, a multibrand helmet dealer start trying on various brands, some like Schubert have the option of various pads/liners
Flip up helmet by design will be a little more noisy than a full face. A couple considerations make sure it has a integral sun visor, capable of accepting a comm system
On all of he helmets I use, I wear disposible ear plugs, bought in bulk from Amazon the small foam plugs work wonders in reducing fatigue caused by wind noise
If you go over budget, remember you only have one head
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

T6pilot wrote: On all of he helmets I use, I wear disposible ear plugs, bought in bulk from Amazon the small foam plugs work wonders in reducing fatigue caused by wind noise
If you go over budget, remember you only have one head

+1 for earplugs - always...

:thumbs:
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I am not going to recommend a brand of helmet. Everyone thinks their brand is best/quietest.

I will tell you that the flip up helmets are without exception a bit to quite a lot more noisy than a good standard full face. Helmets with the built in flip down sunvisor seem to be more noisy and do not vent as well as those without. Although the noise difference is slight. Fit is the single most important factor in buying a helmet. No matter the brand, if fit is loose it will not be as quiet or protect as well as it should. The very best thing you can do is go to a shop, either dealer or something like Cycle Gear, where they stock and display a lot of helmets. Try them on. All new helmets that fit correctly will feel a tad too tight when new. Check how well you can see out of it. You should only feel "uncomfortable" pressure points in the cheek/jaw area as these pads are tight when new and break in. Or you can usually get smaller pads as options. Find a brand that fits well, as each brand tends to have a head shape they are known to fit best on. Then make your decision by reading reviews on how quiet they are and other good/bad points. Find one in your price range and hope it is perfect. Few are, but I can tell you that if you don't try a bunch on before buying your perfection factor goes way down!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Flip/system helmets always more noisy than a standard one.  I think not.  One area where noise is produces is between your chin and the front of the helmet.  On a normal helmet this space is always large enough for you to pull it on.  Makers try to reduce noise there by fitting bits of flexible material .  But on a system helmet this area can be a lot less open and this dramatically reduces noise. 
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: Flip/system helmets always more noisy than a standard one. I think not. One area where noise is produces is between your chin and the front of the helmet. On a normal helmet this space is always large enough for you to pull it on. Makers try to reduce noise there by fitting bits of flexible material . But on a system helmet this area can be a lot less open and this dramatically reduces noise.
I agree😊
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

RTman10 wrote: Flip/system helmets always more noisy than a standard one.  I think not.  One area where noise is produces is between your chin and the front of the helmet.  On a normal helmet this space is always large enough for you to pull it on.  Makers try to reduce noise there by fitting bits of flexible material .  But on a system helmet this area can be a lot less open and this dramatically reduces noise.
+1 to what RTman10 said.
2016 San Marino Blue
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bushbikie wrote: +1 to what RTman10 said.
Yep another one for he armchair experts. My Schuberth is quieter than my Arai fun face. So the statement flip helmets will always be noisier is rubbish. Fit is the most important thing. Although my Schuberth took a little while until if felt really comfortable