Windscreen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Oscar Nelsen

Re: Windscreen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

With my FJR I used the stock screen in summer (9 months in Arizona) and Yamaha's larger in 'winter' (fall 2 months, spring 1 month).  I am concerned about the aerodynamics of the Werks and Puig not allowing air flow to the vents on top of my helmet.
2016 RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Oscar Nelsen wrote: With my FJR I used the stock screen in summer (9 months in Arizona) and Yamaha's larger in 'winter' (fall 2 months, spring 1 month).  I am concerned about the aerodynamics of the Werks and Puig not allowing air flow to the vents on top of my helmet.

Yeah - and if you fit a different screen Oscar, you'll never get your darned cars to start!!

realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Oscar Nelsen wrote: With my FJR I used the stock screen in summer (9 months in Arizona) and Yamaha's larger in 'winter' (fall 2 months, spring 1 month).  I am concerned about the aerodynamics of the Werks and Puig not allowing air flow to the vents on top of my helmet.

Anytime you have a lot of air hitting your helmet vents there is likely to be a good bit of noise and possibly turbulence associated with that. Which might be fine for commuting or short trips. But longer times in the saddle and that noise defeats the reason you ride an RT! The WERKS screen can give you air onto your vents if you lower it some. Unlike others this is still calm air, but you will pick up noise. The trick is to get a screen not too tall, so you can lower it enough to get a full blast onto your face if desired.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have a BMW System 6 Evo.  It has a large central vent on top and a smaller one on the chin.  Open the top one with the screen set so its in the air flow and you get a very cooling flow of air across you forehead but no increase in noise. The internal sun visor which slides up between the shell and the lining has no effect in this air flow.  Pop open the chin one and you get the same type of noise you get when you open a rear window  in a car.  Its unaffected by the screen. 
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

I am 6 foot and after reading all the threads,  have pretinear decided to go with the 24 inch Werks.  Looking at the diagram, the 26 inch is shorter than the outside edges of the stock windscreen.  What would be better, a 24 raised up, or 26 raised less with the top edge of both at the same height?

I can see the advantage to the 26 because I assume the lower angle would yield less buffeting; at least more aerodynamic and less of a speed brake.  Raised less, the 26 would be closer to the rider, although marginally.  What is better for the passenger given the same top edge height?
Attachments
BMW-R1200RT-2014-UP-STOCK-24IN-26IN-1600.jpg
2016 RT
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

There is more to it than the diagram shows. Yes, the WERKS 24" is about the same height as the center of the stock screen. You might assume then that it will act shorter due to the outer edges of the stock screen being taller. The stock screen is a parabolic curve from the mounting area all the way back. The WERKS design is not, actually a lot more straight starting above the mounting area. That means the effective height of the WERKS is actually taller. Raised all the way up, the WERKS 24" is taller from the ground than the stock screen if you were to measure them. The outer "ears" on the stock screen are where a lot of noise and turbulence come from, especially when raised halfway or more.
At 6' tall, if you don't have an unusually tall torso, and if you are on the stock seat, the 24" will be the best size. Either the 24" or 26" will be a significant improvement over the stock or a couple of aftermarkets screens I have tested with for your passenger. While the 26" may lay a bit flatter and that may make it seem to be more aerodynamic you still want to be able to lower the screen enough to get a blast of air onto your face.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

Great analysis, thanks.  Without all the wind tunnel data and a supercomputer, the only, and still the best way to know is to ride with each in different conditions.  I like the idea of a shorter than stock windscreen and will go with the 24.
2016 RT